Brassark 2B Replica

Matt K
Verified

Brassark 2B Replica

Post by Matt K »

Has anyone played one of these? Just picked up a 2B thinking about swapping it out for one of the seamed materials. Because why leave anything alone?
Burgerbob

Re: Brassark 2B Replica

Post by Burgerbob »

honestly, the average 2B plays fine already. Unless you have a bad example, leave it as is.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Because Matt is incapable of "leaving it as it is." :cool:
Bonephilly

Post by Bonephilly »

I play a brassard 2b replica sized up for .491 bore in a 2b Jiggs trombone. Huge upgrade. The jiggs pipe was very tight.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Guess I’ll find out on Tuesday when it gets here if I’m curious about swapping. Good to hear these tend to be good pipes by default. I know the replica is a one piece design which everyone seems to prefer but some of my favorite pipes have been the two piece so maybe I’ll actually like a stock pipe for once!! I tend to be a pretty bright player was toying with the idea of trying the sterling but wow $$$ price of silver is up since last time I bought. Silver pipe!!
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

An idea... instead of swapping out a 2B leadpipe, why not contact Doug Elliott and trying his new backbore (the C 2.5) which he designed for the 2B. (He owns the horn and has been able to test it by playing it a lot)

I've had two different 2B's. I think most people would agree that the leadpipe is already fine, and hasn't needed changing for about 100 years.

Try a different mouthpiece or contact Doug Elliott.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Cmillar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:06 am An idea... instead of swapping out a 2B leadpipe, why not contact Doug Elliott and trying his new backbore (the C 2.5) which he designed for the 2B. (He owns the horn and has been able to test it by playing it a lot)

I've had two different 2B's. I think most people would agree that the leadpipe is already fine, and hasn't needed changing for about 100 years.

Try a different mouthpiece or contact Doug Elliott.
Great idea! But I'm guessing Matt will try anything and everything.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Got a 2.5 and 3.5 on the way :mrgreen:
Sniffynose

Post by Sniffynose »

I have a late 90’s 2B silver plated that plays considerably more open than any other 2B I own or have tried. Because of this, I get a long with it great but other 2B’S are just to tight & I fight to put air through it when playing in the high range.
Maybe it’s the lead pipe, gooseneck, tuning slide width or all of the above that make my late 90’s horn very special and a joy to play. Swapping slides & bells with older (and newer) 2B’S proves to me that it’s mostly the lead pipe.

If I could put a new leadpipe in my 52’ silver tone that would make it as open as my 90’s I would be very, very happy but haven’t done it incase nothing changes and/or I damage the horn.

If anyone has some insight as to why my 90’s horn is so different, I would really like to hear from them.

Matt, if you get a new leadpipe please let us know how it works out, that would be super helpful.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Matt K wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:51 am Got a 2.5 and 3.5 on the way :mrgreen:
:good:

Return to “Instruments”