Flugabone help

ttf_chris612

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Hi all,

A few months back I picked up a horn just to have something with valves and it actually plays surprisingly well. I was wondering though what these were used for? Like what ensembles to they show up in? Any information is appreciated thanks!

Chris
ttf_BGuttman

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

They are often used for marching.  Especially the ones that look like oversized trumpets or cornets.

The ones that look like wimpy baritone horns can be used as tenor horns in Brass Band.

Either can be used as a soloing instrument in Big Band.

You really need a proper trombone to play in sections, although a trombone-shaped valve trombone has been used in the past.
ttf_Matt K

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I used mine as a travel horn snceits so compact. One of the bands I'm in had me play it for solos sometimes. There's not much utility beyond that but it's a cool thing to have for sure!
ttf_JohnL

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_JohnL »

As far as I know, the Olds O-21 (Reynolds TV-29) was the first instrument of that type. It was called a "Marching Trombone", which gives a pretty clear indication of its intended use.

From a 1973 Olds catalog:
QuoteO-21 Marching Trombone
Lightweight, compact and versatile, the new Marching Trombone by F. E. Olds and Son is a welcome addition to any band. Instead of slides, valves give it greatly increased articulation over conventional slide models. And for greater projection of sound, so necessary on the marching field, the Olds Marching Trombone features a straight bell front.

Specially engineered and built for the marching band, it also allows the baritone player to double on trombone in the stage band. These features add up to an instrument that allows greater maneuverability while maintaining exception response and intonation.

SPECIFICATIONS:
WEIGHT: 61½ ounces
LENGTH WITH MOUTHPIECE: 16½ inches
BELL: 8"
BORE: .515
Supplied in Deluxe Case with accessories
The O-21 is supposed to have been designed by Zigmant Kanstul. A few years later, when he was working for King, Zig designed an "improved" version that was marketed under the name "Flugabone"; the current Kanstul Marching Trombone (model 955) is based on that later design.

Supposedly, the O-21/TV-29 tooling was part of a batch purchased by Selmer when Olds went under and was used to make the Bach Mercedes model 883 marching trombone for a while. The Blessing M200 also appears to have been based on the Olds design; it's been theorized that both the Bach and Blessing versions were actually built by Blessing.

I don't think anyone still makes a horn in the Olds/Reynolds pattern. Kanstul still lists the 955, and Tianjin Jinbao has a marching trombone (JBMS-090) that's similar.
ttf_RJMason

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_RJMason »

The Olds horn, a compact marching valve trombone, was the first design produced...everything stated previously is correct. I believe the Blessing factory made the Bach mercedes and Blessing horns they are the same design as the olds and often just as good. The King horns were the first Labeled Flugabone, and despite the claims that it was an "improved design" I feel that the King horns just don't sound nearly as rich in time as the Olds...too blatty and built for only projection in marching band.

I've used the Olds Flugabone since 2013 as a travel horn and an easy horn to carry. With the right mouthpiece I've also used it in Recording sessions to get a mellow French Horn like sound. Look up Beck's cover of "I Only Have Eyes For you"...you can hear me playing it on that track I did the horn arrangements for.  I also used it on TV mimicking French horn parts and melodies, see "Maya &a Marty- Broadway for Orlando What the world Needs Now".

It's one of my favorite horns...I brought it to a Bonnaroo this year and played with a DJ--the tone isn't so in your face but when I play loud everyone can hear and enjoy it--I also call it The Party Horn because I'll get in a crowd and rock out with people without worry that my slide is going to get banged up--this horn has taken a beating being carried in a backpack everywhere from  New York to Bangkok and it still holds up!

My friend Jon Natchez also plays an olds Flugabone with Father John Misty and a band called The War On Drugs--and we've both also used the horn playing with David Byrne.

More than just a utility horn!!!
ttf_Driving Park

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

IMO flugabone is very mouthpiece-dependent. I use a deeper cup trombone mouthpiece with mine and it sounds lovely at all dynamics, but if I use a more standard or shallow piece it's comically blatty. Mine sits next to me at my desk so I always have a brass instrument to grab and play at all times, and since it's so compact it works great for that. It's small enough that with the flare poking out it fits in my flugelhorn bag!
ttf_Matt K

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Driving Park on Jun 19, 2017, 09:32AMIMO flugabone is very mouthpiece-dependent. I use a deeper cup trombone mouthpiece with mine and it sounds lovely at all dynamics, but if I use a more standard or shallow piece it's comically blatty. Mine sits next to me at my desk so I always have a brass instrument to grab and play at all times, and since it's so compact it works great for that. It's small enough that with the flare poking out it fits in my flugelhorn bag!

I agree, deeper pieces seem to work better on mine. I haven't used in mine in awhile... its on comission at Dillon but I'm tempted top pull it and keep it. I think if I were to swap out the receiver for a large shank receiver that would probably bring it closer to how I'd like it to feel but I have other projects I'd rather focus on at the moment...
ttf_JohnL

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_JohnL »

As mentioned several times, the Olds is a killer travel horn. It's a very compact instrument, and the original cases were built like Sherman tanks.

Mic Gillette had one; as I recall, he'd had some tuning levers added to the first and third valve slide.
ttf_Matt K

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: JohnL on Jun 19, 2017, 09:47AM he'd had some tuning levers added to the first and third valve slide.

Also a good idea
ttf_chris612

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Thanks for all the information! I actually just brought it with me to my orientation with a practice mute and it was great, fit in my duffel bag and everything. Thanks again!

Chris
ttf_chris612

Flugabone help

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Thanks for all the information! I actually just brought it with me to my orientation with a practice mute and it was great, fit in my duffel bag and everything. Thanks again!

Chris

Return to “Instruments”