Mouthpiece help

Shaune24

Mouthpiece help

Post by Shaune24 »

Hi, I’m an up an coming bass trombone player looking for a new mouthpiece. I currently play on a Schilke 51d (recommended by my jazz bands previous bass trombone player) and I find it really hard to play louder in my lower register. My overall tone is great with the Schilke but my band director really wants me to be able to crank out my lower register and it’s sometimes hard to play as loud as he would like. After some research I have found out that a Schilke 51d is best for a euphonium. So I would like to ask if anyone has a mouthpiece suggestion for a loud low sound that still retains a decent tone.

Side note: I have been practicing my breathing techniques but my sound on bass trombone has capped out but still expands on tuba

Side note: I also play tuba if that affects mouthpiece selection at all.
harrisonreed

Re: Mouthpiece help

Post by harrisonreed »

Test out common bass trombone mouthpieces with your teacher or mentor present:

2G, 1.5G, 1G, schilke 58 59 or 60

Select the one that requires the least amount of shifting, and that sounds the best.

I have a hunch that a 2G is a good place to start for you.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Are you playing on a real bass trombone or just a large bore tenor with F-attachment? A real bass trombone will have a bore of 0.562" (or more). A large bore tenor is 0.547" and won't be quite as loud.

That said, a 51D is way too small for bass trombone (although I know some players who can rattle walls with one -- but not me). I would suggest a mainstream bass mouthpiece like a Bach 2G or 1 1/2G; or a Schilke 58.

Just to be contrarian, how does your tuba mouthpiece work on the bass? Can you play really low and get really flat above the bass staff?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 am Are you playing on a real bass trombone or just a large bore tenor with F-attachment? A real bass trombone will have a bore of 0.562" (or more). A large bore tenor is 0.547" and won't be quite as loud.
Not with that attitude! :mrgreen:

「ビリーブ」!
Shaune24

Post by Shaune24 »

I play on an actual bass trombone with an F and D attachment
Shaune24

Post by Shaune24 »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 am Test out common bass trombone mouthpieces with your teacher or mentor present:

Select the one that requires the least amount of shifting, and that sounds the best.

Where would be a good place to try some out
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Harrison, there is a BIG difference between the Schilke 60 / Bach 1G and the other mouthpieces. As a tuba player he may be able to make them work, but for general suggestions I'd avoid these two. Best to start bass on something like a 1 1/2G or 2G (or Schilke 58).

Shaune24, you will need to find a decent music store that has some stock. If you live in southern New Hampshire (or northern Massachusetts) I could let you try a couple to see what fits. If your BD is serious about changing your mouthpiece, have him order a couple for you to try. Again, I'd start on Schilke 58 or Bach 1 1/2G.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Faxx 1 and 1/2.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Shaune24 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 am
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 am Test out common bass trombone mouthpieces with your teacher or mentor present:

Where would be a good place to try some out
The local music store likely has all of these. Otherwise you can order them from mouthpieceexpress and trial them

Return to “Mouthpieces”