Slide Lubricant

ttf_ssking2b

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Has anyone used ULTRA PURE trombone slide lube?  I have been using the Yamaha stuff for about 5 years and have noticed that is no longer as thick, and that it dries out in the slide in a couple of hours. Any suggestions would be helpful!
ttf_BillO

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: ssking2b on Aug 02, 2017, 10:07AMHas anyone used ULTRA PURE trombone slide lube?  I have been using the Yamaha stuff for about 5 years and have noticed that is no longer as thick, and that it dries out in the slide in a couple of hours. Any suggestions would be helpful!
I have a bottle right in front of me as I write this.

It's as good as the Yamaha lube initially but does not last as long.  It is also not as viscous as the Yamaha lube.

BTW, you can refresh the Yamaha with a spray of water.

That's been my experience.
ttf_BGuttman

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I use UltraPure as a "refresher" on top of my cold cream or Trombotine.  It has also refreshed slides with Slide-O-Mix.  Yes, it probably doesn't last as long as the Yamaha, but it seems to be pretty benign as well as being a good lubricant.
ttf_mlarsson

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_mlarsson »

Quote from: ssking2b on Aug 02, 2017, 10:07AMHas anyone used ULTRA PURE trombone slide lube?  I have been using the Yamaha stuff for about 5 years and have noticed that is no longer as thick, and that it dries out in the slide in a couple of hours. Any suggestions would be helpful!

I've a similar experience with the Yamaha lube. Even if I try to refresh it by spraying some water, I find myself having to re-apply every day to get back that feeling of a newly lubed slide.

Also I'm not too keen on the bottle and the applicator and the weird soapy smell. I've got a jar of superslick waiting, once I run out of the Yamaha stuff.

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: BillO on Aug 02, 2017, 10:14AMBTW, you can refresh the Yamaha with a spray of water.

That's been my experience.

That's what I do as well. Works on my horns.
ttf_timothy42b

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: mlarsson on Aug 02, 2017, 12:35PMI've a similar experience with the Yamaha lube. Even if I try to refresh it by spraying some water, I find myself having to re-apply every day to get back that feeling of a newly lubed slide.

Yeah, the water washes it off.  You can get by a week or two if you don't spray water, depending of course on how much spit/condensation you have. 
ttf_Pre59

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: timothy42b on Aug 03, 2017, 07:26AM You can get by a week or two if you don't spray water, depending of course on how much spit/condensation you have. 

A week or two? I'm lucky to get more than 2 days, sometimes not even that, and I have to keep the outer slide really clean.

ttf_timothy42b

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Pre59 on Aug 03, 2017, 08:27AMA week or two? I'm lucky to get more than 2 days, sometimes not even that, and I have to keep the outer slide really clean.

Yeah.  My slide was sticky this morning, I'll relube before I practice tonight.  Last lube was Saturday almost 3 weeks ago. 

But if I use the water spray?  An hour, maybe two, is all I get. 

Maybe I'm lucky with the slide condition. 
ttf_Posaunus

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

The new Ultra-Pure trombone slide lubricant is quite good - much better than its predecessor, which I never found very good. 

I have never had the problems some of you seem to have with Yamaha slide lubricant.  I refresh about hourly with a fine spray of water mist, and my slides remain very slippery.  But I do clean and dry my slides pretty regularly (at least every few days).   

The biggest problem that I've had with both Yamaha and Slide-O-Mix is that they can lose their (important) viscosity if they get overheated.  (At least I think that is the cause.)  These lubes are nowhere near as effective when thin and runny.  Now I never leave my lube in the car on warm days! 
ttf_Driswood

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Posaunus on Aug 03, 2017, 11:34AMThe biggest problem that I've had with both Yamaha and Slide-O-Mix is that they can lose their (important) viscosity if they get overheated.  (At least I think that is the cause.)  These lubes are nowhere near as effective when thin and runny.  Now I never leave my lube in the car on warm days! 

I remember reading here that Sam Burtis keeps his Yamasnot in the refrigerator. I tried it, works great!

Jerry Walker

ttf_Gabe Langfur

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I'm trying the new Ultra Pure slide lube. So far, so good.
ttf_The Sheriff

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Aug 18, 2017, 09:15AMI'm trying the new Ultra Pure slide lube. So far, so good.
----

It is good. I read on the Ultra Pure website that some guys like using a little of both the UP and the Yamaha together. So I took a fresh bottle of each, removed the tops, poured the contents into a small bowl and mixed them together. Then I took a small syringe and filled both bottles with the 50/50 mix. Honestly, I like it better than either of them by themselves. It works.

===
ttf_BillO

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Aug 18, 2017, 09:40AM----

It is good. I read on the Ultra Pure website that some guys like using a little of both the UP and the Yamaha together. So I took a fresh bottle of each, removed the tops, poured the contents into a small bowl and mixed them together. Then I took a small syringe and filled both bottles with the 50/50 mix. Honestly, I like it better than either of them by themselves. It works.

===
I'll give that a try.
ttf_Pre59

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I've found that applying some Trombotine to the slide with a spritz of water, work it in and then wipe off, apply the Yamaha works well. The trombotine seems to stop the Yamaha from drying out.
ttf_svenlarsson

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: Pre59 on Aug 19, 2017, 01:35AMI've found that applying some Trombotine to the slide with a spritz of water, work it in and then wipe off, apply the Yamaha works well. The trombotine seems to stop the Yamaha from drying out.
Aha! I will try that!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Aug 19, 2017, 01:35AMI've found that applying some Trombotine to the slide with a spritz of water, work it in and then wipe off, apply the Yamaha works well. The trombotine seems to stop the Yamaha from drying out.

I use Superslick cream and the Yamaha and it seems to work quite well also.
ttf_ssking2b

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Thanks for all the good input. Here is what I have done:  I mixed about 25 drops of new formula ultra pure slide Lube  into my Yamaha slide lube and the results are fabulous. Slide stayed slick and well liubed thru  a 4 hour gig. I Have now wiped all off the inner and outer tubes. Will reapply later and determine if it is still good. So far the result is outstanding! As good as when I tried the Yamaha stuff when it was first on the market. BTW like Sam Burtis I am keeping my extra stiock of Yamaha and ultra pure in the refrigerator until I need a new bottle!
ttf_ssking2b

Slide Lubricant

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Thanks for all the good input. Here is what I have done:  I mixed about 25 drops of new formula ultra pure slide Lube  into my Yamaha slide lube and the results are fabulous. Slide stayed slick and well liubed thru  a 4 hour gig. I Have now wiped all off the inner and outer tubes. Will reapply later and determine if it is still good. So far the result is outstanding! As good as when I tried the Yamaha stuff when it was first on the market. BTW like Sam Burtis I am keeping my extra stiock of Yamaha and ultra pure in the refrigerator until I need a new bottle!

Return to “Accessories”