Reeves/Brass Ark Clarke model

Fidbone

Reeves/Brass Ark Clarke model

Post by Fidbone »

Hey,
There doesn’t seem to be much on the forum about said model 🤔
Does anyone use one or have experiences with one?
Small shank versions please.
I’d love to hear your views 🤗
TIA.
Rusty

Re: Reeves/Brass Ark Clarke model

Post by Rusty »

I’ve played one on and off with my MD+ .508 since they first came out along with the great 11c. It’s very open and free blowing and a fairly soft inner shoulder of the rim makes it feel to me more like a 5ish rim, but it’s a very comfy rim. It’s got a great sound character and is very even over the horn, although I wish it was a little more efficient in the upper range.

Works well with .525 horns too. Would be interested to try it in the Gemini (slightly heavier blank) for a little more weight to blow against.

Modelled from the original Clarke LARGE I believe.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I played one as my go-to small bore piece for a few years before my current DE setup. I keep it in the car as a backup now. It’s easy to pickup and play with very little adjustment and worth having around.

I agree with Rusty’s characterization.
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

I like mine a lot. I use it on a 3b and a Bolero (.508). The only downside is that I paid extra for the screw rim version, but it's not compatible with any of the Elliot rims I have. So I can take the rim off and put it back on... :idk:

Other than that, I really like it.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

I have one of these with a custom rim that Noah made for me. I had a very specific request for a larger diameter rim that was also narrow - like Doug’s narrow rims. What he did was take his 3G rim diameter (26.26 I believe), and made it as narrow as the rim from his Charlie Vernon bass trombone piece. As a result, the rim is marked CV3G, as a screw rim on the stock Clarke underpart.

I had this made to use on my Bach 36, and it plays great. I can’t compare to how it plays with the stock rim but I would imagine it’s also great as is, if you are comfortable playing that rim size. I’ve had it for 3 years and have no regrets about buying it. If you’ve got any special requests just ask Noah, he is more than willing to accommodate them within reason.

I will also add that the screw rim model probably only makes sense for special modification requests like mine in case you ever wanted to try another rim that Noah would also have to make, since as pbone3b pointed out, sadly the threads are not compatible with any other manufacturers threads including Doug’s.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

I've been using it for 2 years almost every day on my Bach 36 and really like it. Before that I used a Stork T1 for 20 years. The Reeves is a little lighter in the low register but helps with stamina.

Return to “Mouthpieces”