Is Shires the Krispy Kreme of Trombone manufacturers?

Spin your yarns here.
ghmerrill

Re: Is Shires the Krispy Kreme of Trombone manufacturers?

Post by ghmerrill »

Everybody likes a little locust bean gum. And it IS vegan. Now the sorbitan monostearate may be a bit more questionable, but you don't want your donut falling apart as you're gobbling it. Just because the monocalcium phosphate is often used as a fertilizer doesn't mean ... well, I'll pass on that one.

In fact, however, the most dangerous thing for me isn't the funny sounding additives -- it's the DONUT!! :shock: :cry: :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

They are required to reveal all ingredients -- that's a food law. You can hide "trade secret" ingredients from an MSDS for another product. Note that while they must divulge all ingredients, they do not have to divulge exact formulas. I can make a product with the same materials in different concentrations and the result can be "delicious" or "nauseating" depending on percentages and how they are processed.

The "bad actor" in the Krispy Kreme formula is the glaze. The contents of the donut underneath is not materially different from any other donut.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BGuttman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:29 pm The "bad actor" in the Krispy Kreme formula is the glaze.
Whatever may be in it, just thinking about it raises glucose your glucose level.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I had high hopes for a really good conspiracy theory. After all, when it comes to yeast, there’s fungus and then there’s fungus.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

There is always fungus amongus.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Shires’ yellow brass bells are actually made from recycled Zildjan cymbals. That accounts for their sweet sound.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

"it's people... Soylent Q is made out of people"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Try finding ANY prepared food that doesn't have those ingredients.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Aspenforest wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:44 pm
JohnL wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:29 pm Trying to see the parallel here.
Let's for the sake of argument say that an FE Olds is similar to a Ford? Or mayhaps Olds:White Castle
More like Studebaker, being as they’re long out of business.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:05 am An inferior donut shop in the US
Easy there, Partner. :lol:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

RustBeltBass wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:04 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:05 am An inferior donut shop in the US
One might wonder if "inferior donut shop" is an oxymoron and whether the concept of a superior donut shop isn't a fiction of some elitist subculture. It's not like we're talking about ...
beignets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Is Bach the Jack In The Box taco of the trombone?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Or the Jack in the Bach [rim shot!]
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ghmerrill wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:21 pm
RustBeltBass wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:04 am

One might wonder if "inferior donut shop" is an oxymoron and whether the concept of a superior donut shop isn't a fiction of some elitist subculture. It's not like we're talking about ...
beignets.jpg
Look, I can't help anyone who hasn't had a LaMar's old fashioned sour cream donut. You can't know things you haven't experienced. You walk out of LaMar's and you'd be like:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate."
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Something really bad happened a long time ago when people started putting stuff on the pure donut or making pieces of cake with holes in them and calling them donuts. You can't hardly get a good genuine donut any more. I've had it with these space-age post-modern designer donut-like objects.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

This is the weirdest thread so far. I've read all of it and do not understand anything. Never been a donut expert which makes all this pointless.
To me your arguments makes as much sense as:
Yamaha = apple
Conn = grape
Bach = banana
Olds = tomato
See my point, it does not contain anything useful, but obviously you understand what you are talking about. Guess it's a language/culture thing I can never understand. :D Please go on and I will get my popcorn.

/Tom
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

pretty solid fruit comparisons actually
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Artist, Long Island Brass and Stephens Horns
Faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

imsevimse wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:02 pm This is the weirdest thread so far. I've read all of it and do not understand anything. Never been a donut expert which makes all this pointless.
Yamaha = apple
Conn = grape
Bach = banana
Olds = tomato
See my point, it does not contain anything useful, but obviously you understand what you are talking about. Guess it's a language/culture thing I can never understand. :D Please go on and I will get my popcorn.

/Tom
Tom is right. Scientists would call this food synesthesia. It's only relevant to the one with those same tastes.

For some music synesthesiasts, A# Major is green, c minor is red, etc.

Apparently for some trombone synesthesiasts, Shires is Krispy Kreme. Makes just as much sense. :idk:
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:56 pm Try finding ANY prepared food that doesn't have those ingredients.
... in the US.

A lot of the prepared food here in Switzerland still has no preservatives or added color or added flavourings. One reason is, that small private shops still produce a goodly amount of food from raw products and sell in their shops, perhaps also to affiliates. Thinking here of butcher shops which still slaughter their own animals, make their own sausages with only spices, but no preservatives or color. Thinking also of local farmers which produce their own jams, jellies, honey, minced vegetables and such.

Many of these people sell to the supermarket chains what they don't sell in local stores, but in order to do so, they must fulfil strict standards and are tested for additives, just in case. So buying "bio" in a supermarket with that sticker assures the same purity as from the farmers' door. What you notice is that the "good until" date on these products is vastly shorter than in comparable industrially made products. Yes, they cost more, maybe around 15% more, but we feel it's worth it on various levels. For example if we DON'T purchase the "bio" products, there will be no market for it and it will no longer be available. These farmers are producing "bio" because of higher moral values. The profit margin is higher - especially because they don't need the chemical fertilisers and chemical pesticides. They lose a bit to some pests for which they don't have organic means, but make up for it at the other end. And if you want, you can get all the preservative loaded "food" you want at lower prices - "bio" is not forced on anyone.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Griego Markey 82 (85, 90) or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

While I admire much about the Swiss system, have always felt very comfortable in Switzerland, love to visit it, have worked in Switzerland (for a Swiss company), and have somewhat emotional ties particularly to Basel because of working there and because my Ph.D. advisor was from there (and from an old family-owned flour milling company), when you look at
musicofnote wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 am These farmers are producing "bio" because of higher moral values. The profit margin is higher - especially because they don't need the chemical fertilisers and chemical pesticides.
You should at least realistically recognize the dissonance between the initial moral claim and the immediately following economic justification in terms of why farmers "are producing bio," and what allows them to continue to do that effectively. But again, you have to admire a nation which has such excellent supermarkets in train stations and produces such wonderfully tasteful health foods as rösti (which my wife absolutely adores). :)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:37 am ... you have to admire a nation which ... produces such wonderfully tasteful health foods as rösti. :)
Rösti = crispy Swiss potato pancake. Shredded potatoes formed into a thick pancake and fried in butter, oil, or ghee. Sort of like hash browns formed into a pancake, or latkes without eggs or flour. I'm not sure that I would categorize this is a "health food!"

I just returned from Basel where we enjoyed a Rösti dinner at Restauration zur Harmonie. Mine came with a wonderful Kalbsbratwurst (veal sausage) and onion; my wife's Rösti was coated with melted raclette cheese. The meal was delicious, but ... healthy?
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:37 am
musicofnote wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 am These farmers are producing "bio" because of higher moral values. The profit margin is higher - especially because they don't need the chemical fertilisers and chemical pesticides.
You should at least realistically recognize the dissonance between the initial moral claim and the immediately following economic justification in terms of why farmers "are producing bio," and what allows them to continue to do that effectively.
???? why must there be a dissonance? Growing food in a way that looks after the health of the land as an entire eco-system, meaning no mono-cultures, no heavy chemicals is not incompatible with making a profitable living. Raising livestock outdoors, free-grazing, no hormones added to the food which iss morally responsible to the animals, giving them as decent a social life as possible before slaughter is certainly more morally acceptable than industrial meat production where animals are chained in pens, never see the light of day and have not social interaction. And they are able to do so at a profit. We buy 3-4 times a year freshly slaughtered beef from one particular where you drive by the rest of the herd in the pasture as you arrive at the farm. They have about 30 animals and only slaughter 3-4 a year. The rest they use for keeping the herd in the desired number, milk, cheese etc. They only slaughter full grown animals, no calves. But they also grow grains, fruits etc. And as real farmers, they sometimes are victims of things like bad weather. Last year due to a weird spring, the cherry crop was not good. Neither were the apples and pears, but the peaches, plums and apricots were fine as was the grain. All done without chemical pesticides - which I don't see as any "dissonance" when getting money for their products of their labor.

BTW - Leberli & Rösti is a favourite of mine, which due to my diabetes, I limit myself to 3-4 times a year, preceded with a good dosage of inositol and apple cider vinegar. And I came to Switzerland waaaay back when to study in Basel at the Musik-Akademie, where I later taught for about 20 years.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Griego Markey 82 (85, 90) or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:48 am
ghmerrill wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:37 am ... you have to admire a nation which ... produces such wonderfully tasteful health foods as rösti. :)
Rösti = crispy Swiss potato pancake. Shredded potatoes formed into a thick pancake and fried in butter, oil, or ghee. Sort of like hash browns formed into a pancake, or latkes without eggs or flour. I'm not sure that I would categorize this is a "health food!"

I just returned from Basel where we enjoyed a Rösti dinner at Restauration zur Harmonie. Mine came with a wonderful Kalbsbratwurst (veal sausage) and onion; my wife's Rösti was coated with melted raclette cheese. The meal was delicious, but ... healthy?
No Rösti isn't healthy. But the cheese and Bratwurst certainly is. At least it's in keeping with my minimal Carbs regime I have to be on. Not healthy, but .... Leberli & Rösti, as I wrote elsewhere - a couple times a year with proper preparation.
Mostly:

Very seldom:

ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Apparently the Swiss do like a good American "donut" (I use the term in it's current post-modern sense) when they can get one. :) There are Krispy Kreme shops in Lausanne and Geneva, and Dunkin' Donuts in Zurich (3), Basel (1), Geneva (2), Emmen, Bern (3), Urtenen-Schonbuhl (sorry re missing umlauts: I don't have my German keyboard working on Chromebook yet), Hinwil, Friburg, Biel, St. Gallen, Olten, and Interlaken. Of course, perhaps it's only American tourists who buy and eat all these donuts.

For my own part, I'm partial to the bretzel, adorned only with salt.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

:twisted:
Pezza wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 pm Yes, they are both severely overrated & overpriced.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

imsevimse wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:02 pm This is the weirdest thread so far. I've read all of it and do not understand anything. Never been a donut expert which makes all this pointless.
Yamaha = apple
Conn = grape
Bach = banana
Olds = tomato

/Tom
Popcorn? I think that = Holton
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:01 am What is Krispy Kreme?
Donuts that look great! But are overly sweet and, in the end, disappointing.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I love me some Krispy Kreemes. There is one about 100 yards down the road from where I grew up going to church and we would often skip Sunday school to go get a doughnut. I rarely go there now, but if I see a box laying around at one of my customers' offices, I have to have one just for old times sake. Even if they are 2 days old.

As far as Shires trombones, I have never owned one, but they seem like darn nice horns. I got a Rath in 2016 and suspect that it will last me the rest of my life.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

Donuts make my tummy hurt so they are all trumpets. Dunkin? Trumpets. Krispy? Trumpets. That little shack that switches to fried chicken at lunch time? Trumpet doublers.

:clever:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:03 pm Even if they are 2 days old.
They age relatively well, but (like IPA) that may have been a significant part of the design spec.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

The best donuts, you ask?

Stan's Donuts in (Westwood) Los Angeles. :good:
Last edited by greenbean on Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Y'all dissin' Krispy Kremes be nasty. There's nuthin' better than a fresh, hot, Krispy Kreme glaze donut.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Some people think that about Shires too...
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Kristy Kreme Doughnuts are more like Yamaha Intermediate trombones. The Yamaha trombone is mostly yellow brass bell and yellow brass slide, a solid performer, with no surprises. A 1960s to 1970s King 2B is like a chocolate cream filled elclair: Enticing to the eye and full of rich harmonics that light up when it is attacked with a fully supported column of air. The Shires trombones that I own are more like hot Quaker Oats cereal with nothing added but raisins on top. Solid performer. No surprises. And very nutritious. But arguably not significantly better than the store bought house brand with house brand raisins: Think Kuhnl & Hoyer or Schilke built Greenhoe.

Top: Oatmeal
Middle: Krispy Kreme Glazed Doughnut
Bottom: chocolate eclair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I ain't knocking Shires. Especially the ones from when Steve was there -- Shires slides are up there with the Eastlake Conn slides in terms of action, and I mean that as the highest compliment possible. With all the options, they are so all over the place though. I've tried a few that were *spectacular* and a few that were supposed to be like Bach that were not fun to play at all. And then the story of the guy who went to Shires and asked for the reddest trombone he could get, with an oversized red bell. I guess the thing was almost 100% red brass, and played like it to boot.

To liken that to Krispy Kreme though seems like a disservice. Does Krispy Kreme have that kind of variety? Will they make you a donut that consists of only cocoa powder and nothing else, because you wanted the darkest tasting donut of all time? I don't think so! And their slides are garbage.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

All of the Krispy Kreme doughnuts that I have tasted are like raw sugar. I never tried one with Yamaha Slide Lubricant. But I think I’ll take Harrison’s word for the quality of Krispy Kreme slides. There was a thread a year or so ago about overpriced trombones. Shires hardly got mentioned if at all. I don’t know whether that is good or bad.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

OneTon wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:05 pm I never tried one with Yamaha Slide Lubricant.
Now that you mention it, the icing on them does look a lot like Yamaha Slide Lubricant.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

ghmerrill wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:47 am
OneTon wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:05 pm I never tried one with Yamaha Slide Lubricant.
Now that you mention it, the icing on them does look a lot like Yamaha Slide Lubricant.
This is the best thread ever.

And now I'll never be able to eat a glazed Krispy Kreme without thinking it's covered in Yamasnot.
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:32 am
JKBone85 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:30 am

Most certainly not inferior to Dunkin. Quite the opposite.
I didn't say anything about Dunkin'. Krispy Kreme is full of chemicals and preservatives -- their donuts are gross. Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' shouldn't even register on the scale.

If comparing trombone shops to donut shops, I'd say Edwards at least is on par with LaMar's. The 396-A is like their old fashioned sour cream donut. The jury is out for me on Shires. Certainly not a Krispy Kreme equivalent, though -- that joint doesn't even know how to spell words, let alone make donuts.
I was trying to point out that even though KK is an inferior donut to many, Dunkin is not one of them. They are both terrible. It's also strange to make a donut analogy and not compare us to Dunkin Donuts. We are literally down the road from their headquarters.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

tbdana wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 am And now I'll never be able to eat a glazed Krispy Kreme without thinking it's covered in Yamasnot.
I think you can probably comfort yourself in this regard with the thought that use of Yamasnot (even in production quantities) would likely make the Krispy Kreme prohibitively expensive. There's barely enough in one bottle for a single donut -- not that I've actually tried that.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

It's also strange to make a donut analogy and not compare us to Dunkin Donuts. We are literally down the road from their headquarters.
TMI. ;-)
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

OneTon wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:23 am

It's also strange to make a donut analogy and not compare us to Dunkin Donuts. We are literally down the road from their headquarters.
TMI. ;-)
I didn't write that
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Sorry Harrison.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

93 replies. Amazing.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

OneTon wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:55 pm Sorry Harrison.
It's okay. it's all donuts under the bridge. Krispy Kreme ones, that is. I would never throw good donuts into the river.
KWL

Post by KWL »

Bach5G wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm 93 replies. Amazing.
At one point there was hope for this thread with the drift to the Rösti discussion.

Ken
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Had a Krispy Kreme in our area. I didn’t like them, evidently a lot of people didn’t, they didn't last very long before they closed down. Dunkin…enjoyed them many moons ago when they first opened near me. 10 cents each or a buck a dozen. My cousin and I agree they have gone downhill fast the last ten years, and he’s in the Baltimore market. Summary, DD is over priced and over rated. Best donuts I ever had here were from an Amish town about 45 minutes away. Opened at 5 AM and closed when he ran out, usually by 9 AM. Alas, after several years Sweeties closed down.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Can't y'all get Krispy Kremes in your local Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly's? No need for a dedicated Krispy Kreme store. :roll: What kind of deprived areas do people live in that they can't just go into the local grocery or drug store and pick up a box of Krispy Kremes? That would be awful.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

ghmerrill wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm Can't y'all get Krispy Kremes in your local Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly's? No need for a dedicated Krispy Kreme store. :roll: What kind of deprived areas do people live in that they can't just go into the local grocery or drug store and pick up a box of Krispy Kremes? That would be awful.
A Krispy Kreme isn't a Krispy Kreme unless the red light is on.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm Can't y'all get Krispy Kremes in your local Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly's? No need for a dedicated Krispy Kreme store. :roll: What kind of deprived areas do people live in that they can't just go into the local grocery or drug store and pick up a box of Krispy Kremes? That would be awful.
Yum. Stale, overly-sugared, chemically-contaminated donuts in a box. To me that "would be awful!"

Y'all in the south seem to have succumbed to some sort of unhealthy addiction to this life-shortening junk food. :horror:

Return to “Tangents”