Conn 88H

stewbones43

Conn 88H

Post by stewbones43 »

Can anyone tell me when Conn switched from string operated rotary valve to the mechanical linkage for the 88H and also when the GEN II and the open wrap 88HO was introduced?

Thanks
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
vwmvwm

Re: Conn 88H

Post by vwmvwm »

I HATE the new mechanical linkage. A local school bought 10 of these newer (2018-ish) 88H’s and they all are all clanky and noisy, and the trombones played okay. I heard tell, however, that the new CEO of Conn fired everyone and brought in his cronies. I tried a 2023 62H Bass bone and it played close to the old Elkharts (still had the mechanical linkage, however . . .)
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

vwmvwm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 am I HATE the new mechanical linkage. A local school bought 10 of these newer (2018-ish) 88H’s and they all are all clanky and noisy, and the trombones played okay. I heard tell, however, that the new CEO of Conn fired everyone and brought in his cronies. I tried a 2023 62H Bass bone and it played close to the old Elkharts (still had the mechanical linkage, however . . .)
“Fired everyone” like, what? This is easily verifiably just false. It also wouldn’t make sense. Fired everyone in production? No, they had a strike, though that was a long time ago now. Fired the artist team? No, lots of the same guys still in those roles. Fired people that were responsible for what?

Weird,
Andy
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I know this doesn't answer the initial question, but I have bought a new 88ht in I think 2021. It has not been mechanically perfect - some lightly audible scratching of the valve - but absolutely no problem. What I do not like about the current linkage is the design of the actual thumb actuator (what do you call that thing correctly?). It can come loose and the involved scres which connect it to the lever are very weak/vulnerable in my opinion. Best put it in the right position once and never touch it again.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

MStarke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:00 am What I do not like about the current linkage is the design of the actual thumb actuator (what do you call that thing correctly?). It can come loose and the involved scres which connect it to the lever are very weak/vulnerable in my opinion. Best put it in the right position once and never touch it again.
My first new, pro horn was/is an 88HO with that garbage thumb paddle - the set screws no longer securely retain the paddle on the shaft, causing sudden unexpected changes in the paddle position.

I keep the horn for sentimental reasons now, but don’t play it because of that paddle. Someday I may have it replaced, but it’s frustrating enough for me to swear off any Conn with that setup. Life is too short for that kind of thing.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

vwmvwm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 am I HATE the new mechanical linkage. A local school bought 10 of these newer (2018-ish) 88H’s and they all are all clanky and noisy, and the trombones played okay. I heard tell, however, that the new CEO of Conn fired everyone and brought in his cronies. I tried a 2023 62H Bass bone and it played close to the old Elkharts (still had the mechanical linkage, however . . .)
This is not something that happened. Conn production was moved from the Eastlake plant to the Elkhart plant about 5 years ago, and the general consensus is quality has suffered, but the CEO didn’t fire anyone. And who would these “cronies” be anyway?
As for the linkage, that has been around for close to 30 years.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

You can get that reto-fitted to string linkage. Oberloh in Seattle can do it. Probably Osmun’s, too. I had an 88H with string linkage that I loved. I am not sure how it blows, but my Shires twin valve with string linkage (Yup) is lighting fast and smooth as 1951 Chevrolet column shift.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

stewbones43 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:11 am Can anyone tell me when Conn switched from string operated rotary valve to the mechanical linkage for the 88H and also when the GEN II and the open wrap 88HO was introduced?

Thanks
I don't know when this happened but the Gen II thing was around the mid 90's. Probably when the mechanical linkage was introduced, too.

I had a 2005 88HTCL from Eastlake and the only issue with it was the curved F attachment brace. I needed to get that resoldered once. Miniballs worked perfectly. It and my 36H from the same period have the best slides in the land.

I think a lot of the production issues started after the move back to Elkhart.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

bitbckt wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:43 am
MStarke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:00 am What I do not like about the current linkage is the design of the actual thumb actuator (what do you call that thing correctly?). It can come loose and the involved scres which connect it to the lever are very weak/vulnerable in my opinion. Best put it in the right position once and never touch it again.
My first new, pro horn was/is an 88HO with that garbage thumb paddle - the set screws no longer securely retain the paddle on the shaft, causing sudden unexpected changes in the paddle position.

I keep the horn for sentimental reasons now, but don’t play it because of that paddle. Someday I may have it replaced, but it’s frustrating enough for me to swear off any Conn with that setup. Life is too short for that kind of thing.
I currently have two instruments with that setup. The mentioned 88htg and an 88ht with Greenhoe valve. At the moment they are both stable, so it's fine. I have actually considered replacing that thing or having it soldered so that it is fixed.
Other than that I am very happy with the instruments.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

If you can figure out the thread there are a bunch of higher quality set screws / non-permanent thread lock that could help (my 88h has the string or I’d check)

Here’s my source for all things fastener related:
McMaster.com

Return to “Instruments”