FS: Reynolds Contempora Double Trigger Bass

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed; caveat emptor.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Molefsky

FS: Reynolds Contempora Double Trigger Bass

Post by Molefsky » Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

Continuing to thin out my herd as my wedding approaches (gotta pay for that catering...) by offering up my Reynolds Contempora bass trombone. Dual side-by-side triggers.

Great commercial sound for when you want that bass "grit" texture without the added decibels. That being said, it was developed with the symphony orchestra in mind. The trigger arrangement is probably best thought of as a single trigger with "boost" down to low C and B when the full double lever is thrown. Overall I find the horn very responsive and "light" in the best sense of the word. This is a "less is more" kind of instrument. Overplaying will not be the path to the results you want; something I really prize in an instrument.

Condition: the instrument has been well used and I've had a little repair work done to the bell which is red brass, large in diameter, and thin... (responsive!). The slide is fast but certainly not Shires smooth. This was likely a school instrument in a previous life. As part of my stable it's mostly seen paying big band work and I'm more focused on useful mechanics than having a "pretty" horn. :shuffle:

Pictures at the link below. Asking for $900 obo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4DOX ... WswdUZkdDA
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
Molefsky

Re: FS: Reynolds Contempora Double Trigger Bass

Post by Molefsky » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Answering at least one question I've gotten. I can include the original case but it's gnarly... You'd be better off using an aftermarket case or gig bag. I would prefer not to ship it in the case.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Price bump to $800?
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 am

I can't believe nobody wants this for $800!

These instruments have so much character. I have no way to measure it but agree with the OP that the bell is quite thin and in general my example of a Contempora plays super-responsive at lower dynamics, it just resonates with a warmth that you don't find with all instruments. It can be made to cut through at relatively low volume, there isn't so much middle ground between beautiful warm mf and a ripping ff. This can be useful if you want to really cut through to bring out some sort of rhythmic figure in big band or are providing some bite to a part in unison with tuba, however it can also be quite dangerous in the wrong hands. It is of course possible to get a nice big round ff sound that blends well with modern large-bore tenors with a bit of care and practice, perhaps you have to work a bit harder than with some other basses to obtain this.

Personally, I think the OP is a little unkind about the second valve only being a "boost", I find it quite usable on mine, I don't mind that it has a bit more resistance than some more recent designs. If the F/Eb isn't to someone's taste, there's a relatively easy extension to make it F/D with a pair of offset extension tubes to fit around the other metalwork.

I agree with the sentiment that this is a less is more instrument and hope whoever buys it enjoys it as much as I enjoy mine.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm

MrHCinDE wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 am
I can't believe nobody wants this for $800!

These instruments have so much character. I have no way to measure it but agree with the OP that the bell is quite thin and in general my example of a Contempora plays super-responsive at lower dynamics, it just resonates with a warmth that you don't find with all instruments. It can be made to cut through at relatively low volume, there isn't so much middle ground between beautiful warm mf and a ripping ff. This can be useful if you want to really cut through to bring out some sort of rhythmic figure in big band or are providing some bite to a part in unison with tuba, however it can also be quite dangerous in the wrong hands. It is of course possible to get a nice big round ff sound that blends well with modern large-bore tenors with a bit of care and practice, perhaps you have to work a bit harder than with some other basses to obtain this.

Personally, I think the OP is a little unkind about the second valve only being a "boost", I find it quite usable on mine, I don't mind that it has a bit more resistance than some more recent designs. If the F/Eb isn't to someone's taste, there's a relatively easy extension to make it F/D with a pair of offset extension tubes to fit around the other metalwork.

I agree with the sentiment that this is a less is more instrument and hope whoever buys it enjoys it as much as I enjoy mine.
Thanks for your thoughts. I made it though the wedding in one piece, financially speaking, and am considering just keeping the horn. I've got an inquiry so I'll see how that pans out. That being said, I tried to price it to move but I think I just ended up under pricing the horn.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Amconk

Post by Amconk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 am

I’d buy this from you in a heartbeat, but I’m broke until September. I’ve always dug the wrap on these contemporary horns. If it’s still around then, I’ll shoot you an offer!
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Sale pending
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
RDB73

Post by RDB73 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Pm sent Michael.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”