Where can I buy screw bell parts?

aasavickas

Where can I buy screw bell parts?

Post by aasavickas » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am

I want to try cutting my bass trombone bell and make it a screw bell. I have a guy who will do the work but he would need the parts. French horn rings are too heavy and probably a bit large. Do any of the manufacturers sell threads and rings? Maybe Lawler?

Also, which cases are a good deal for screw bells. I know that Marcus Bonna makes one but those are awfully expensive and seem to rarely be in stock anywhere. I think Shires is selling a case for screw bells.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
Jimkinkella

Re: Where can I buy screw bell parts?

Post by Jimkinkella » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Instrument Innovations or Shires.
The Shires is lighter, but also tighter and a little more expensive.
Both fine pieces.

Basili is similar to the Bonna, but built a bit more cheaply, and $150-$200 cheaper.
Sometimes you can find an old Holton case on ebay.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Instrument innovations sells some new ones. I think I may have a set somewhere in my toolbox, I’ll dig and take a look. Didn’t fit on my flare that I was going to convert (the flare isn’t round.. oops).

For cases, I picked up a Shires case. I’d be willing to sell it for what I paid (about $300). It is OK, but a little heavier than I really wanted. Don’t try to use it with a Bach length slide, it won’t fit. It was available and I didn’t have to make it work like a Pelican Rifle case, so I went a little lazy.

I like the idea of the smaller bags, but I really want a compact hard case that will fit flat in my trunk. The Shires case does fit, but it isn’t super compact.

Cheers,
Andy
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 pm

elmsandr wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm
Instrument innovations sells some new ones. I think I may have a set somewhere in my toolbox, I’ll dig and take a look. Didn’t fit on my flare that I was going to convert (the flare isn’t round.. oops).

For cases, I picked up a Shires case. I’d be willing to sell it for what I paid (about $300). It is OK, but a little heavier than I really wanted. Don’t try to use it with a Bach length slide, it won’t fit. It was available and I didn’t have to make it work like a Pelican Rifle case, so I went a little lazy.

I like the idea of the smaller bags, but I really want a compact hard case that will fit flat in my trunk. The Shires case does fit, but it isn’t super compact.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy, I’m PMing you about that case and ring set.

Thanks!!

Return to “Modification & Repair”