Mac System Install Question

Driswood

Mac System Install Question

Post by Driswood » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 am

I'm currently running Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra) on my Mac Mini. Having some software issues, and want to go back to 10.11 (El Capitan) I have the El Capitan installer on a bootable USB, and I have my Mac backed up on Time Machine. I know how to get El Capitan installed as a clean install.

My question - How do I restore everything onto my Mac from Time Machine EXCEPT the Sierra System? Directions aren't clear on this.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Yamaha YSL354
sungfw

Re: Mac System Install Question

Post by sungfw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Use Migration Assistant instead of Time Machine. It's faster and offers more control over what to transfer and where put it.

Be aware that data files created in applications updated/upgraded for Sierra may not be compatible with El Cap versions of those apps. Those apps will likely include an option to save/export those files to an earlier version of the app, but you'll need to boot into Sierra to run them, so you may want to make a clone your Sierra drive to an external drive before you downgrade.

[Insert rant about how TM is not a backup solution]
Savio

Re: Mac System Install Question

Post by Savio » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 am

I have an old Mac mini (2009) and tried the latest OS. Didn't like it so I went back to El Capitan. From Sierra they went to another file system with more security. But lot of hardware doesn't work because of it. My sound card didn't work and the same with my big VGA screen with a VGA adapter. Everything works in El Capitan. I like Mac better than windows but every update from Apple, makes something else not outdated.
Leif

Return to “Technology”