Getzen Experts

DakoJack

Getzen Experts

Post by DakoJack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I need help from the Getzen experts out there Im looking into buying an older Getzen from an old band director friend and am trying to find the details of the horn. The horn has a lot of sentimental value and may not be my main axe so your opinion on the horns playing is welcomed but not necesarly a decision maker. The horn is a Getzen super artist model delux but seems to have some differences from the normal "dude" the bell is silver (not sure if this is plating or the actual bell) and it has the straight braces as supposed to the normal curves. Any help on possible year bell size and material bore size all of this would be nice. Thanks for any and all information I came to you guys first I know where the expertise is :good: .
BGuttman

Re: Getzen Experts

Post by BGuttman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Sounds like the Super Deluxe from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Does it have the Tone Ring? Is there a reinforcement on the tuning slide bow? Is the silver matte with shiny plating on the Tone Ring and braces?

These came with a "wedgie" case that had a lot of internal room. I was able to put a few textbooks in my case when I had one in Elementary School.

Should be sub 0.500" with a 7 or 7 1/2 inch bell.

Much better horn than the Dude.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:46 pm

BGuttman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Does it have the Tone Ring? Is there a reinforcement on the tuning slide bow? Is the silver matte with shiny plating on the Tone Ring and braces?

These came with a "wedgie" case that had a lot of internal room. I was able to put a few textbooks in my case when I had one in Elementary School.

Ive gotten some more info if any of this helps, its tone balanced and has the copper ring around the bell the serial number is 61053.
JonTheCadet

Post by JonTheCadet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 pm

BGuttman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Just out of interest, what's wrong with 'the dude'? The slide and braces looked art-deco-y and the copper bell looks quite nice(on the internet at least). Couldn't find anything regarding bore or bell size though. Were they director/stencil instruments?
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:33 pm

DakoJack wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm
I need help from the Getzen experts out there Im looking into buying an older Getzen from an old band director friend and am trying to find the details of the horn. The horn has a lot of sentimental value and may not be my main axe so your opinion on the horns playing is welcomed but not necesarly a decision maker. The horn is a Getzen super artist model delux but seems to have some differences from the normal "dude" the bell is silver (not sure if this is plating or the actual bell) and it has the straight braces as supposed to the normal curves. Any help on possible year bell size and material bore size all of this would be nice. Thanks for any and all information I came to you guys first I know where the expertise is :good: .
Are you sure its "Super Artist" and not "Sterling Artist"? I've seen silver plated Super Deluxes, but on those, the tone ring is usually silver plated as well. The Sterling Artist has "Sterling Artist" engraved on the bell flare, a bit below the bell brace. They're good players, and very cool horns.

As to what's wrong with "The Dude," most of it is in the slide braces--dual bars of hex stock that seem engineered to dig into your flesh. The bells were very thick and not particularly resonant, especially compared to the Super Deluxe, which had a very thin bell.

Return to “Instruments”