FS: Used Shires Bass Trombone

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
Fafner

FS: Used Shires Bass Trombone

Post by Fafner » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm

For Sale:

This is a SE Shires bass trombone with independent O.E. Thayer valves originally purchased in 2001 and owned by one professional bass trombonist. The components are a 1G Bell, C Yellow Brass tuning slide, independent O.E. Thayer valves (in-factory produced and the same as the current Axial Valves), a B62 hand slide, and a B 2.5 leadpipe. Recently this horn was appraised for insurance purposes by Shires for $6,475.94 to replace.

The valve section was overhauled in 2013 by master craftsman Jim Becker at Osmun Music in Acton, MA. This included tightening the valves to seal at like-new pressure and adjusting the tension on the valve section bracing.

This horn is in professional-level playing shape. I have used it in several major orchestras, and I’ve advanced at national auditions and won competitions on this instrument. I’ll be conflicted to see this horn go, and I hope it goes to a gifted player. The valves are as good or better than anything the Shires factory is putting out now; the slide has great action and the chrome is 100% intact; and the tuning slides all move freely.

Cosmetically you can see there is some minor denting that doesn’t affect the playing and could be removed if desired. I removed much of the lacquer from the bell section for acoustical reasons and much has fallen off elsewhere over time. I would personally have the rest of the lacquer removed, but I decided I would wait and let the next owner decide that. The bell has the highly-coveted, beautiful hand engraving that you can only find on the early Shires instruments.

$4,000 USD + shipping and insurance out of Boston, MA

Serious inquiries only please.

Pictures and some recordings of me playing this horn:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4r6vb9skqbt8 ... b9yKa?dl=0
Last edited by Fafner on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pompatus

Re: FS: Used Shires Bass Trombone

Post by pompatus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Do you have a link to the pictures?
Fafner

Re: FS: Used Shires Bass Trombone

Post by Fafner » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm

pompatus wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm
Do you have a link to the pictures?
I just updated the OP with a dropbox link. I couldn't get the pictures to attach on the website.

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”