Bach Artisan model A47MLR

LarryPrestonRoberson

Bach Artisan model A47MLR

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Bach has been vague about the specifics of the Artisan line of trombones—at least the differences relative to the 42 models. In fact, there is still isn't a listing on Conn-Selmer's Parts Catalog (repair parts site) for parts for the Artisan line of trombones.

Does anyone know if Bach manufactures the rotors for the Artisan model A47MLR in house? Or, do they out-source them? The wrap and configuration looks similar to the Bach 42BOF (Centennial) I'm testing out. The rotor for the 42BOF is the Meinlschmidt Open-Flow valve.

I'm also aware the Artisan A47I is equipped with the Infinity axial flow valve made by Instrument Innovations (Mike Olsen). This is the same valve and wrap (with minor hardware modifications) as my 42AF. But, I would like to know the specifics about the rotor for the Bach Artisan model A47MLR? If anyone has this information to share, I would appreciate it.
norbie2018

Re: Bach Artisan model A47MLR

Post by norbie2018 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Are they going to make these anymore? Change the name/model# perhaps?
TriJim

Post by TriJim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Besides the valve, Artisan models have the reverse tuning slide, a detachable bell, and steel (instead of brass) wire in the bell.

I also recall discussion of a different bell flare and thinner metal in Artisan bells - but not certain of these differences from 42 or Centennial models.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm

The valve is made in house, I think. They used the wrap for the new Centennial models with the different valve.

They both play very well. I really like the rotor on the unfortunately named MLR section. Mine plays very well. I wouldn't call it supremely open, but one of the best tenor rotors I have ever played for sure.
Bass Trombone
DL Band
SLO Symphony

Return to “Instruments”