WTB entry level bass trombone mouthpiece (for student)

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
JLivi

WTB entry level bass trombone mouthpiece (for student)

Post by JLivi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm

One of my high school students is looking for a bass trombone mouthpiece. I don't think he knows what he wants/needs, but something entry level will be fine. I'm not sure on his budget, but let me know what you have and how much it'll be. I told him I could probably find something for around $35-50

I'm thinking one of the following:

Bach 1.5G
Bach 1.25G
Bach 1G
Schilke 58
Schilke 59 (might be too big)
Denis Wick 0AL

I'm not even sure I know what would be good for him. Personally I hate 1.5G's so I'd love it if he went with something slightly bigger, but he's a tenor trombone player (6.5AL) that's switching to bass trombone in his sophomore year of high school. Thanks!
Posaunus

Re: WTB entry level bass trombone mouthpiece (for student)

Post by Posaunus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 am

If a Schilke 59 might be too big, a Bach 1G would probably also be too big, as would a Wick 0AL.

For a high school sophomore just starting bass trombone, unless he has an unusual anatomy, I'd suggest starting even smaller, and letting him work up to a larger piece later, if it fits his face. My thought: try a Bach 2G, a Wick 2AL, a Yamaha 58, or a Schilke 58.
Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:53 am

I’d recommend something like a Faxx 1.5g (good Bach copy) for a cheap place to start
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 am

I have a Faxx 1.5G I'd sell at a good price. Only been played a few times.
greenbean

Post by greenbean » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 am

Do him a big favor and get something no bigger than a 1.5G...

(And e-mail sent.)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am

In my view, the Faxx is hard to beat for price/performance -- especially for a beginning/intermediate student.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb Bass tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for all the help/advice. Now that I think about it, a 1.5G sized piece is probably good enough. I just know when I was starting on bass bone I hated it and ended up falling in love with the Schilke 59 and ended up with a Hammond 20BXL. Now granted I had been playing the horn for 12 years at that point.
Matt K wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 am
I have a Faxx 1.5G I'd sell at a good price. Only been played a few times.
How much for the Faxx 1.5G? I will see what the student thinks.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Less than new :mrgreen:

Send me an e-mail and I'll get you pictures. (Not tonight, but can do tomorrow)
Funkificator

Post by Funkificator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi
I have a Denis Wick Heritage 2NAL that I could part with. Not a really big mouthpiece, smaller than the VB 1.5 G I also have. Send me an email/PM if interested!

/Karl

Return to “(Classifieds) Mouthpieces”