Edwards DBB Bass Slide (Needs Work)

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.

NOTE: If you want to PM or e-mail another member, you can only do so after having two approved posts. Additionally, if you wish to receive e-mails, please update your profile to include your e-mail address. This is a more secure way of handling your e-mail. The classifieds are open to the major search engines and it's very easy for a bot to parse something like 'email at provider dot com' but without authentication and two approved posts, outsiders cannot see the e-mail you have in your profile.
CLTSymphBass

Edwards DBB Bass Slide (Needs Work)

Post by CLTSymphBass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I am selling my Edwards DBB Bass Handslide. This is a dual-bore .562/.578 bass handslide with yellow brass outer tubes and yellow brass endcrook with no sleeves, sometimes referred to as lightweight. I have owned this slide since 2011, I bought it new at the Edwards factory and had it modified with a Shires bell receiver (the threaded open end that screws into the valve section). This was the best slide I've ever played, I won my job on this slide and I still don't think I've played a slide that is as resonant as this slide was before it was damaged. During my first season in the symphony I took this slide to a well-known slide tech as I wanted to get it checked out as the action seemed off. This tech was straightening the lower (.578) end of the inner slide and popped the tube, crushing it. He had a new tube overnighted from Edwards and installed it the next day but had trouble getting the action perfect so he completely unsoldered the slide and put it together again, this slide was rebuilt twice. Unfortunately after so much work on the slide it played noticeably different from before the tube replacement, it has never been the same and is no longer the incredible slide that it once was. It still plays ok but the action is not great, I don't know if the inside of the outer slide tubes need to be polished but you can hear scratchiness in the action. It doesn't grab spots like there are dents and its really fairly ok but it's not quite right. Since I needed to play more performances of the Nutcracker I had Edwards overnight me a replacement slide and this one has been sitting in my closet ever since. It pains me that this was such an amazing slide and it is something else now, I just want to get rid of it because of the painful memory of seeing that slide tube pop on my favorite slide. I played it again today for the first time in years and it plays better than I remember it, you may not notice anything wrong with the playability expect for some scratchy sounds from the slide movement. This slide could work as a backup slide or as a donor slide for parts. I want to be honest and clear, I DO NOT recommend you get this slide and intend to use it as your primary slide unless you are a repair tech or intend to send it to a good repair tech. To be a great slide again it needs work which is why I am not putting a list price, ANY OFFER IS CONSIDERED. This sale does not include any leadpipe. There is a chance this can be a great slide again with some work, right now it is an ok playing slide with some action issues.

Scott Hartman
Principal Bass Trombone, Charlotte Symphony Orchestra
Trombone Instructor, Davidson College

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”