Music History Buffs, please help

harrisonreed

Music History Buffs, please help

Post by harrisonreed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:43 pm

This question had been answered on TTF but was not archived and is now lost. I need to know the physical locations, catalogue numbers, and person to contact for facsimile/copy services for these well known pieces that are often performed on alto trombone. I realize these are published, but I need facsimiles of the oldest available manuscripts. I have a tiny amount of info from memory for two of them. Please help if you are a music librarian or music historian:

Wagenseil, trombone concerto. Exists as a set of parts, and partial score:

Location - Moravian History Museum dept. Of Music http://m.mzm.cz/
Cat# -????
Person to contact - ????

Mozart, L., Serenade in D LMV VIII:D, from which we get the L. Mozart concerto. Exists as a set of parts

Location - Abbey of Seitenstetten music archives, Austria
Cat# - ???
Person to Contact - ???

Haydn, M., Divertimento in D, MH68, from which we get the Haydn "concerto".

Location - ???
Cat# - ???
Person to contact -????

Haydn, M., Concerto for trombone and horn. Is this part of a larger work? Is there a MH#?

Location - ???
Cat# - ???
Person to contact - ???

Haydn, M., "Larghetto in F for alto trombone", Perger no. 34, MH61

Location - ???
Cat# - ???
Person to contact - ???

Albrechtsberger, Concerto for Trombone

Location - ???
Cat# - ???
Person to contact - ???

I have been chugging away at this for years, and some of this info had been given (and subsequently lost on TTF) by Howard W and / or Prof. Kimball. I am not adept at communicating with music librarians, navigating foreign websites, or any of this sleuthy kind of stuff. Can anyone please help me with this project? Perhaps there is a research music librarian someone knows who I can pay to do the legwork?

WayBack machine seems to not work for me, but maybe someone can find the post there in TTF where the libraries for these pieces are listed.
LeTromboniste

Re: Music History Buffs, please help

Post by LeTromboniste » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Michael Haydn - Concertino for horn, trombone and orchestra is from the Serenade in D major, P87/MH86 (4th and 5th movements / pages 23 to 55 of 91 - and the designation "Concertino" is original). It exists as an autograph score.

Location : Music collection, National Széchényi Library, Budapest
Cat # : Ms. mus. II. 82
Contact : not sure my contact is up to date, but it would take you 5 minutes to find contact info for the music collection on the library's website.

I believe the library holds large portions if not the entire Esterhazy Collection, so I would imagine they might very well also have the other two M. Haydn works you mention.

Albrechtsberger is in the archives at the Melk Abbey, if I recall correctly.

For information about the originals and where to find them, a good lead is always to look at the preface of scholarly/critical/complete editions.
Last edited by LeTromboniste on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilien Brisson
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks, Maximilien! Is Melk IIRC the Melk Abbey?
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:18 pm

harrisonreed wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:51 pm
Thanks, Maximilien! Is Melk IIRC the Melk Abbey?
Sorry that was confusing. Edited.
Maximilien Brisson

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”