Home studio setup

JLivi

Home studio setup

Post by JLivi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I was just curious what people do to write/record music in their home studio?

I'll get it started. Here's my setup:

Logic Pro X
Focusrite 2i4 scarlett
Yamaha 88 weighted key keyboard as my MIDI controller (P-95?)
Just purchased an Akai MPX8 to start creating better drum beats, hopefully
AT 4050 (large condenser) to record trombone & any vocals

I think that covers it. I have a pedal board that I mess with as well that has an analog mixer, octave pedal (sub and octave up) and a wah pedal.
Last edited by JLivi on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savio

Re: Home studio setup

Post by Savio » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm

That setup should be good! Next step ishttp://homerecording.com/bbs/

Leif
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:35 am

JLivi wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm
I was just curious what people do to write/record music in their home studio?

I'll get it started. Here's my setup:

Logic X
Focusrite 2i4 scarlett
Yamaha 88 weighted key keyboard as my MIDI controller (P-95?)
Just purchased an Akai MPX8 to start creating better drum beats, hopefully
AT 4050 (large condenser) to record trombone & any vocals

I think that covers it. I have a pedal board that I mess with as well that has an analog mixer, octave pedal (sub and octave up) and a wah pedal.
How does it sound?

Savio, you had some great recordings on TTF, how did you do them?

I am looking into a Zoom H6 with an additional microphone to have more sound sources, good idea?
Savio

Post by Savio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 am

I read a lot in that home recording site, got some tips there. Like the preamp is important, mic placement and the room is also important. I tried different things and found a way that works ok for me. Just for fun. But the more I read in that site, the more I understood I don't know much. So I just found one way that works. I have used different mics, apex 205, shure 58, AKG 1000s, and also a Samson. Dynamic mics, short placement, condensator mics, longer distance. Add a little reverb, and adjust volume level with a limiter. That's it. I found out its best to do it simple. I sometimes tried all the effects, but it doesn't work good for me. I believe that's for pro people. And often the software effects are bad in cheap software. I have Cubase from 2005. So simple is best result for me. Wow, many words with little sense. Anyway I was told the focusrite preamp is important for my use. I also use a Zoom with good result. Puuh, I need a coffee after all this words....

Leif
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am

Savio wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 am
I read a lot in that home recording site, got some tips there. Like the preamp is important, mic placement and the room is also important. I tried different things and found a way that works ok for me. Just for fun. But the more I read in that site, the more I understood I don't know much. So I just found one way that works. I have used different mics, apex 205, shure 58, AKG 1000s, and also a Samson. Dynamic mics, short placement, condensator mics, longer distance. Add a little reverb, and adjust volume level with a limiter. That's it. I found out its best to do it simple. I sometimes tried all the effects, but it doesn't work good for me. I believe that's for pro people. And often the software effects are bad in cheap software. I have Cubase from 2005. So simple is best result for me. Wow, many words with little sense. Anyway I was told the focusrite preamp is important for my use. I also use a Zoom with good result. Puuh, I need a coffee after all this words....

Leif
Savio, I want to pick your brain a little more.

The Focusrite pre you use, is it a Scarlett 2i2? A little red box? What mic do you use with it?

Wich Zoom do you use and how do you use it to get good results? I have a Zoom H2N (old I know) and never got really good results with it. How do you place it?
Savio

Post by Savio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 am

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am
Savio wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 am

Leif
Savio, I want to pick your brain a little more.

The Focusrite pre you use, is it a Scarlett 2i2? A little red box? What mic do you use with it?

Wich Zoom do you use and how do you use it to get good results? I have a Zoom H2N (old I know) and never got really good results with it. How do you place it?
The focusrite I use is Saffire 6, its old but I was told all focusrite have good preamps.
I got a new Zoom video. Q4n. This one can turn the two stereo mics to AB or XY. XY is better for solo, and AB is better for a band or orchestra. I think this Zoom recorders sounds good nearly wherever I place it. But very close up is no good. But from 1 meter to 20 they work nice. Best is from 3 to 6 meters in a big nice sounding room. Then its fantastic.

Didnt you do some recordings too cozzagiorgi? I remember it sounded good. I find it like hell to listen own recordings.

Leif
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:42 am

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is good, but personally I like the 2i4 because it offers a MIDI input. A little more money for a lot more options (keyboard, drums etc).
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I think the 2i2 is perfect only if you are doing a single stereo recording, or you are only recording a single instrument at a time. I love mine, but probably should have gotten the 4 input version.
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 pm

harrisonreed wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm
I think the 2i2 is perfect only if you are doing a single stereo recording, or you are only recording a single instrument at a time. I love mine, but probably should have gotten the 4 input version.
Amen! I love the 2i4, but after owning it for a week I got booked to record/play on two different sessions that involved 3 horns. We ended up recording brass together and then tracked tenor sax separate. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. I'm glad it was low pressure and with friends :-)

Return to “Technology”