Lawler trombones

Doug Elliott

Re: Lawler trombones

Post by Doug Elliott » Sat May 11, 2019 11:13 am

The "wear" would only be burnishing, causing it to fit better. No actual wear, no material lost.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Sat May 11, 2019 2:58 pm

I will try that next time I have the Lawler out (tomorrow).Thanks for the suggestion.
keybone

Post by keybone » Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Bruce, Doug - I probably will not be around in a few decades!
Seriously, thanks for your input.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Big thanks guys - I tightened the nut with the bell at a 270 degree angle and then twisted it into place and made it through a whole rehearsal with not slippage. But I did miss a couple of notes. Who should I call about that?
PaulT

Post by PaulT » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Glad it worked.
I think the most common approach is to fit the two sections together, rotate to snug, then thread and tighten the nut. Without an instrument in my hands I don't know if matters a whit one way or another, but the "tell" you are looking for is the fit, feel and snugness of the two sections independent of the nut. Once the two sections are snug and secure in the proper position to each other, then the nut is threaded and tightened, functioning, for the most part, as a blessing to the union :wink:

But, maybe nut first/nut last on the trombone is like sugar/no sugar on the lefse. :idea:
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 am

----

I've never given this any thought probably because I've always put my horns together in this manner. The one Lawler of mine that needed the rat file treatment on the nut was done because there was no gap and the nut would make contact with the cork barrel.

I second what PaulT says. Tighten the nut after rotating the parts together. Thanks PaulT for bringing this up.

====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Dbone

Post by Dbone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 am

I just received my Lawler Model 1 trombone in Roy’s recommended set up: .500 bore, yellow brass stem, slide, and 8” .22 yellow bell, and a 7.5” rose brass bell.

In a word, delightful. The trombone has a wonderfully rich and full sound. I had been playing a Rath R10, yellow brass with nickel silver slide (I would now like to sell if anyone is interested), which is an excellent instrument as well. In a blinded sound test, my wife and sons liked the sound of the Lawler. Their comments: “it velvety and warm”, “it sounds smoother”, “the sound is fuller”.

In a week of playing and practicing, the Lawler does seem to have more character. I read a post from Andy Baker saying the Rath is more “pure and compact”, which I too would agree. The Lawler seems to have a classic, old fashioned jazzy sound, which I and my family seem to prefer.

Thank you to all who have posted insights into experiences with Lawler Trombones. It was a pleasure to work with Roy Lawler and Keith from Schmitt Music.

Please let me know if you are interested in the Rath R10.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm

Dbone wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 am
I just received my Lawler Model 1 trombone in Roy’s recommended set up: .500 bore, yellow brass stem, slide, and 8” .22 yellow bell, and a 7.5” rose brass bell.

In a word, delightful. The trombone has a wonderfully rich and full sound. I had been playing a Rath R10, yellow brass with nickel silver slide (I would now like to sell if anyone is interested), which is an excellent instrument as well. In a blinded sound test, my wife and sons liked the sound of the Lawler. Their comments: “it velvety and warm”, “it sounds smoother”, “the sound is fuller”.

In a week of playing and practicing, the Lawler does seem to have more character. I read a post from Andy Baker saying the Rath is more “pure and compact”, which I too would agree. The Lawler seems to have a classic, old fashioned jazzy sound, which I and my family seem to prefer.

Thank you to all who have posted insights into experiences with Lawler Trombones. It was a pleasure to work with Roy Lawler and Keith from Schmitt Music.

Please let me know if you are interested in the Rath R10.
=====

Thanks for the report and I'm glad you are enjoying your new Lawler.

-------
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Have the "Big Boys" started hitting the market yet? Just curious. Currently playing a .525 horn and am liking it. Very curious how the Lawlers are being received if they are being sold yet. Thanks.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Davidus1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm
Have the "Big Boys" started hitting the market yet? Just curious. Currently playing a .525 horn and am liking it. Very curious how the Lawlers are being received if they are being sold yet. Thanks.
====

Not yet.

------
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 am

TheSheriff wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:03 pm
Davidus1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm
====

Not yet.

------
------

Ok, there is one out there, in California, and another going to Switzerland soon.
Roy is waiting on slide tubes and the one he sent to California has slide tubes that were samples sent to him. I do not know who the owner is, but if you hang out here, give us a shout.

Roy told me his full tube order will arrive next week.

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
salsabone

Post by salsabone » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm

HI All, Sorry to resurrect an old thread...MrSheriff, I too just got my Lawler model 3 fern Ken Hinson at Schmitt music at the ITF at Ball Stat univ. Ken is a great guy. FYI I got a yellow brass bell stem with the 8" yellow .025 flare and the 7 1/2" ,025 red brass flare. I bought/fell in love with the one all nickel .500/.508 slide that they had. I love nickel!! The model 3 in quite unlike any other trombone that I own(and I have about 40+ small bores of various brands!).
My question is what, if any, bags that anyone who has a Lawler with 2 flares has anyone found a bag(either slightly padded or just fabric) to replace the bubble wrap and towel system that comes with the horn?

Thanks salsabone
Kevin
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 am

salsabone wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm
HI All, Sorry to resurrect an old thread...MrSheriff, I too just got my Lawler model 3 fern Ken Hinson at Schmitt music at the ITF at Ball Stat univ. Ken is a great guy. FYI I got a yellow brass bell stem with the 8" yellow .025 flare and the 7 1/2" ,025 red brass flare. I bought/fell in love with the one all nickel .500/.508 slide that they had. I love nickel!! The model 3 in quite unlike any other trombone that I own(and I have about 40+ small bores of various brands!).
My question is what, if any, bags that anyone who has a Lawler with 2 flares has anyone found a bag(either slightly padded or just fabric) to replace the bubble wrap and towel system that comes with the horn?

Thanks salsabone
Kevin
=====

I'm glad you like your model 3, it's my favorite. I use a 500/508 dual bore too. I don't use a Lawler case so I can't help you there. I've never needed to bring an extra flare to a gig I just use the one I like best and put the horn in my Protec.

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:35 am

I got my second flare (8")a few months ago and played with it at home for a little while, then put the first one (7.5") back on and haven't touched it since. I will probably use it if I am playing something other than lead with the Lawler. I really like the nickel slide as well.
salsabone

Post by salsabone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!! It will take me a while to discern what flare I do like the best Or if I wish to purchase others. That is the best thing about the Lawler trombones, you can change up your sound so easily by using another flare! Where I live(northern Delaware) it seems that the defacto rehearsal night is Wednesday night. I still work at my job at DMV, and I will continue to strive to find a jazz or salsa band gig on some other night!

I do have a tool bag coming from amazon that may do the trick. I will let you all know if I have any positive outcomes!
Kevin
Badgerm

Post by Badgerm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am

I’m the Californian with the Model 4.

I chose the following: .022 Red Brass stem / R2 8” flare, round bead / Z2 8” flare, round bead (raw) / Yellow Brass slide / #10 lead pipe (removable).

I’m using a Griego 5 mouthpiece (Deco / Silver).

I’m still learning the horn and will report back in a few weeks. Every time I pick it up to play, however, I’m in awe... people throw around the term “axe” when referring to their instrument. To me, this is more “Excalibur / sword-in-the-stone” status. I’ll give more detail than “I love it” in a few weeks.

Chris
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Confrats on your purchase!
Badgerm wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am

I chose the following: .022 Red Brass stem / R2 8” flare, round bead / Z2 8” flare, round bead (raw) / Yellow Brass slide / #10 lead pipe (removable).

I’m still learning the horn and will report back in a few weeks. Every time I pick it up to play, however, I’m in awe... people throw around the term “axe” when referring to their instrument. To me, this is more “Excalibur / sword-in-the-stone” status. I’ll give more detail than “I love it” in a few weeks.

Chris
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Badgerm wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am

Chris
-------

Thanks for checking in!

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H

Return to “Instruments”