Conn 6h

skaskaster

Conn 6h

Post by skaskaster » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am

Any thoughts about this instrument as a horn for jazz/commercial/ska music? I heard Al Grey played one of those, before moving to King. And whats the difference between regular 6h and the "Victor" one? Which one is better?
BGuttman

Re: Conn 6h

Post by BGuttman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 pm

The 6H was named Victor at some point. The model is discontinued; replaced by the 100H.
The 6H was a great jazz horn. Lots of people still use them. As with all older horns, check condition carefully before putting down your money.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
chromebone

Post by chromebone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

If you want to hear the definitive 6H sound, just listen to Frank Rosolino.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:26 pm

chromebone wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm
And I was there, naively thinking it was just the definitive Frank Rosolino sound.... :shuffle:
Maximilien Brisson
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 am

skaskaster wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am
Any thoughts about this instrument as a horn for jazz/commercial/ska music? I heard Al Grey played one of those, before moving to King. And whats the difference between regular 6h and the "Victor" one? Which one is better?
A lot of the "early" notable jazz trombonists played on the 6H. They are very good jazz horns, and just fine for commercial/ska, etc.. They have a nice meaty sound; verticalness, and feel easy to play.
I have one with modified sleeves, which reduces the weight.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:01 am

Ok, so can anyone help me to identify the year when my trombone was made? Just recieved the "Victor" one and it say GH 9700XX on the slide, and there is no S/N on the bell part.
The serial number chart on the conn-selmer couldn't help me

UPD.
Never mind, just found the info about Conn S/N :good:
"CODE SYSTEM

First character (letter) indicates decade, "G" for 1970's, "H" for 1980's.
etc.

Second character (letter) indicates month of year, "A" for January, "B" for
February, etc.

Third character (number) indicates year of decade reading directly.

Fourth character (number) indicates instrument group as follows:

1- Cornet
2-Trumpet
3-Alto
4-French Horn
5-Mellophone
6-Valve Trombone
7-Slide Trombone
8-Baritone-Euphonium
9-Tuba
0-Sousaphone"
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

chromebone wrote:
+1 Rosolino is one of my favorites and I love listening to him. Used a 6H!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Bonephilly

Post by Bonephilly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm

A good 6h can be hard to find. I prefer the ones from the late 50’s.
Oslide

Post by Oslide » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

chromebone wrote:
On the old forum there was a thread discussing that Rosolino played a custom Olds
for a while...
Oslide

Post by Oslide » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 pm

E.g. here:
Oslide

Post by Oslide » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 pm

I don‘t mean the short mentioning in the „joining the Olds crowd“ thread. It was rather detailed, written mostly by Ben Griffin but I don‘t seem to find it/him anymore.
havard

Post by havard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:40 pm

i own a 65 6h and a Yamaha 891z . the Yamaha has easier respons but a clearly prefer the 6h sound . you can create any sound you want on it .

Excactly what sam Burtis describe in the otj :

"sabutin:
6Hs and other 6H-like horns are a little...drier...sounding than equivalent Kings and Bachs. A little more austere. Strict. Rigorous. I mean that in a good way. Like wines, trombone sounds can have some amount of sweetness...I hear that in King sounds. They can also be very rich...Bach sounds.

Or...they can simply be there. Like Conns.

I went to a thesuarus and searched the words "austere", "strict" and "rigorous".

Here are some of the results that seem to fit:

ascetic, earnest, exacting, formal, hard, inexorable, serious, stringent, unrelenting, exacting, firm, no-nonsense, scrupulous, straight, stringent, tough, accurate, correct, definite, exacting, meticulous, precise, rugged, scrupulous, stern, uncompromising

Like dat.

6Hs do not give easily to the casual listener. No emotional "ooohs" and "aaahs" result from their basic timbre. (Unless of course one is a trombonist and is interested in sound of a certain kind.) Dorsey's "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" on a 6H rather than on a King? Maybe not quite so popular. Watrous's ballad and vibrato/mic approach on a 6H rather than on a Bach? Not quite so...gooey. J. J.'s basic (and gorgeous) sound on a 3B? Maybe not quite so pleasing in some respects.

Like dat, too.

I love 'em, myself. That hardcore Conn sound, through just about all sizes. All of my Shires horns? Just attempts at improving some aspects of great Conns.

But then, for me personally...that list of synonyms plus the words "austere", "strict" and "rigorous"?

ascetic, earnest, exacting, formal, hard, inexorable, serious, stringent, unrelenting, exacting, firm, no-nonsense, scrupulous, straight, stringent, tough, accurate, correct, definite, exacting, meticulous, precise, rugged, scrupulous, stern, uncompromising

Sounds suspiciously like a self-portrait.

On my good days.

Yup.

So it goes.

We are what we eat? (Or is it "We eat what we are?" Hmmmmmmm...)

Whatever.

We play what we are, too.

Yup.

.S. I wold like to add to this that Conn small bores seem much more ..."American" in sound to me. Old American. Gazebo bands American. Sousa American. Early Teagarden and Dorsey American. Swing era American. Great Depression American. Ahhhh...you know. When America was young and struggling upward? Yup. That "America." Dunno why...Kings have been around just as long. Something about the backbone of the sound, I guess.

I have been collecting William Gedney photos recently.

Here's one of his grandfather.

Looks like my grandfather.

That America.

Bet on it.

Return to “Instruments”