What we're doing

BflatBass

Re: What we're doing

Post by BflatBass » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Started my "other" 3rd community band tonight playing 3rd trombone parts (and even one bass trombone part). The "big" community band finished it's annual run about a month ago and now this band is what a lot of people in this area do for the rest of the year. It's the local junior college's community concert band and I really like our conductor and the tunes he's selected for this semester. It's typical community band stuff, movie medleys etc.. But it's still fun and I'm staying connected with people in the local music community.
Since I'm playing tuba parts on my bass in one of the bands a few people said they are keeping there eyes open for a good deal on a used tuba for me. We'll see if I can talk my wife into letting me buy a tuba if an outstanding deal crops up ha ha.
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic
St. Petersburg 202L

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 am

Just finished a great session with our local orchestra and Brass Band competition season begins. Working on a more "brass bandy" sound now.

Means: play even louder...
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 am

In sessions with my new group recording demo materials. Video and promo pictures two days ago, audio yesterday and again today. The line up is one cornetto, one violin (who's playing a gorgeous 1684 Matthias Albani!), one trombone, and harpsichord (or organ when we have access to one). All very good friends who I've known for years; we'd been wanting to form a group for a long time and the timing was finally right. The music for this first programme we're making a demo of is all Venetian virtuosic chamber and solo music; Castello, Riccio, Marini, Dalla Casa - all stuff that is both gorgeous and quite challenging. We had a week of intensive rehearsing and now three days of recording. I've never been part of a group where the sound comes together so fast (it helps that we all frequently play with one another in various combinations) - it's quite thrilling!
Maximilien Brisson
Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:59 am

Practicing Big Band pieces for our demo recordings in two weeks as well practicing parts for Soul band demos a week later plus a couple of gigs. Keeping the long notes and flexibilities going to. Enjoying what might be the last sunny spell of the English summer - probably.
Life is not a rehearsal
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Bought my first tuba!
It's an old St. Peterburg 202L BBb yellow brass/laquer 4 valve (rotary) in decent condition.
The guy I bought it off of had a Miraphone 186 for sale that I was interested in but he said he had another horn for sale that he hadn't listed yet because it needed a little work (that would be the St. Pete). After driving for 6 hrs to meet this guy I tried the Miraphone and it was hard to play. I had trouble finding the "tone centers". Then I tried the St. Pete. It just about played itself!! I haven't played the tuba in over 35 years so I really suck at it but when I played the St. Pete it was so easy. I just played a Bb scale and it came out fine. It was like playing my King DG. It was effortless. When I wanted a note it produced. My lips weren't saying "where the hell is it?" like it was with the Miraphone.
Anyway, it needs a sonic cleaning and the valve linkage needs to be upgraded to miniball linkage as well as lapped and cleaned up. The whole horn has LOTS of usage markes (dents) buts it's plenty playable and since tuba is just my doubling instrument, it will do. As soon as it gets cleaned up I'll finally be able to play the tuba parts I'm playing in one of my community bands on an actual tuba instead of my bass trombone :D

Cheers,
Robert
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic
St. Petersburg 202L

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
blast

Post by blast » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 am

Just back from Krakow, Poland. Playing in a small contemporary ensemble (only brass player) at a music festival. Krakow is a beautiful city, the people friendly and the food and drink fine and good value. The festival staff looked after us like royalty. If only all gigs were as nice.

Chris
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 am

blast wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 am
Just back from Krakow, Poland. Playing in a small contemporary ensemble (only brass player) at a music festival. Krakow is a beautiful city, the people friendly and the food and drink fine and good value. The festival staff looked after us like royalty. If only all gigs were as nice.

Chris
Sounds like a pleasant tour :good:

In Stockholm we start our series of gigs with the Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band. We'll do ten gigs monday evenings in September-October starting tomorrow. This will be to intruduce our own jazz scene - "The Olympia Theatre" - near Odenplan in Stockholm. To establish a new jazz scene is a quite rare thing to do here in 2018 and to have a professional band who have played regularly and trained together for three years to be prepared is also very rare. We will see what happens. The bar will be open. Anyone in Sweden who visits the capital and likes jazz (and beer) is welcome.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
StevenC

Post by StevenC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 am

This is a season of transition for me. I've changed schools where I teach, and have a very challenging course load. With some regret, I told the college+community orchestra where I have played for years that I would not be available this season. The college+community orchestra I joined this past spring plays higher level music, and is closer to home, so that is where my focus will be.

Yesterday I found out that they would like me to play tenor, not bass like I played last season. I am a better tenor player, so this sounds like goodness, but I am still shaky with clefs. I can mostly play tenor clef, but in alto clef I need to write in lots of notes. I wish I had one more week to prepare, but first rehearsal is this Monday. I'll be bringing in my own copies of music, printed from imslp, full of my markings. For all I know, the real copies will also be marked up with notes. If so, hopefully they are correct.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Start classes on Wednesday, have auditions for ensemble placement on Thursday (big bands) and Friday (classical ensembles). Then I get to start cranking away on the Bourgeois III for my recital this fall.
shider

Post by shider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 am

Yesterday, I finally had my first rehearsal with the (british style) brass band i joined.
They have their rehearsals scheduled on the weekends, mostly from 9 am to 4 pm (i hope that checks out timewise.. It basically spans over 7 hours) with two small breaks and a lunch break in between. They don't get together every weekend, but sometimes twice on the same weekend. As i'm playing bass trombone there i got through quite well and didn't have any problems with endurance, which surprised me quite a lot! But man... I can't remember when i last moved so much air in a day! :shuffle:
All members (except the conductor) are amateurs and some of them live more than 2 hours (by car) away from the practice location and the conductor himself even drives to rehearsal from another country :o
well... he's from switzerland and the german-swiss border is only 1.5h away from us, so it's not as impressive as one might think :lol:

To finish the day, i had a rehearsal in the evening with a bunch of people playing traditional german/eastern european Polka, Waltz and Marches.. I can't make the next gig with them but enjoy playing that stuff so much i had to sit in :good: I played tenor and had to dial back my air a LOT from basstr. in brass band, which was really challenging aswell.
When i came home at 9pm i realised i had just finished a day of 12 hours of practicing and playing the trombone.. Not bad for an amateur i dare say :horror:
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 am

Hi shider,
Glad you enjoyed your brass band rehearsal. I‘m a UK expat living in Southern Germany and often get homesick for the music I grew up with. Have you got any concerts coming up?

p.s. if you need any deps on anything lower than tenor horn let me know.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 am

Wrapping up my trip to Europe in the next couple days by visiting Antwerp. Had a great time in Amsterdam and at the DBTO in Ede. Met some really great folks at the Open and closed down the bar both nights!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1537253709069.jpg
FB_IMG_1537253709069.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Bass Trombone
DL Band
SLO Symphony
shider

Post by shider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 am

MrHCinDE wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 am
Hi shider,
Glad you enjoyed your brass band rehearsal. I‘m a UK expat living in Southern Germany and often get homesick for the music I grew up with. Have you got any concerts coming up?

p.s. if you need any deps on anything lower than tenor horn let me know.
It's completely new for me but i appreciate the challenge it provides and i love the sound of brass bands!
We just started with concert preparations after a summer break, so the first concert will be on November 4th. Not sure we can hold up to british ears (and expectations) though :D

i'm not sure what you mean by "deps", sorry... :shuffle: assuming you mean subs i would have to disappoint you, the band is set up quite good for the season, just introduced two new members to fill open positions (me on bass trombone and the flugelhorn player).
Oh.. and a new conductor of course! :idea:
Also i assume they have a list of regular subs they already know.. :shuffle:

I can really understand your homesickness, i would feel the same! Where are you located? I'm between Stuttgart and the "Bodensee" ("lake of constance" i believe..) and i only know of two brass bands around here, so it's really not much
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 am

shider wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 am
i'm not sure what you mean by "deps", sorry... :shuffle: assuming you mean subs i would have to disappoint you, the band is set up quite good for the season, just introduced two new members to fill open positions (me on bass trombone and the flugelhorn player).
To me a "dep" is a deputy, same as a sub. Perhaps dep isn't the best choice of words, it could easily be confused with a "Depp". For people who speak even less German than me, the polite translation of the German word Depp is an idiot/loser (alternative translations available by request!).

I'm located near to Ludwigsburg, I couldn't find a brass band to the North/North-West of Stuttgart so far. I had planned to go down to a brass band near Göppingen and play a bit of Eb tuba but so far that didn't work out due to other events.

Enjoy your banding!
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 am

Come to switzerland! Plenty of brass bands here :-)
shider

Post by shider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 am

MrHCinDE wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 am

I'm located near to Ludwigsburg, I couldn't find a brass band to the North/North-West of Stuttgart so far. I had planned to go down to a brass band near Göppingen and play a bit of Eb tuba but so far that didn't work out due to other events.

Enjoy your banding!
Yeah i would expect it to be hard to find one here.. Brass Bands are a rare breed in Germany!
I think it's especially hard to get people to comit to the instruments that are (in Germany at least) only used in Brass Bands.. And to find a conductor that understands what he's doing with a brass band.

I will for sure enjoy banding!

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 am
And apparently a few conductors willing to leave for a band in Germany :mrgreen:
Joking aside, i would love to visit switzerland in the future to experience the scene there!
cozzagiorgi

Post by cozzagiorgi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 am

shider wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 am
MrHCinDE wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 am

Enjoy your banding!
Yeah i would expect it to be hard to find one here.. Brass Bands are a rare breed in Germany!
I think it's especially hard to get people to comit to the instruments that are (in Germany at least) only used in Brass Bands.. And to find a conductor that understands what he's doing with a brass band.

I will for sure enjoy banding!

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 am
And apparently a few conductors willing to leave for a band in Germany :mrgreen:
Joking aside, i would love to visit switzerland in the future to experience the scene there!
Best occasion to visit montreux is the last weekend of november when our national brass band championship takes place.
djdekok

Post by djdekok » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Getting ready for an all-Bernstein concert--selections from "On the Waterfront", "Candide", and "West Side Story". Also learning neume notation in preparation for participation in Latin Mass.
Daniel J. De Kok Sr., MM, MSLS
Reference Librarian/Special Collections Assistant
Lincoln University of Pennsylvania
Trombone II, Southeastern Pennsylvania Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Performance”