What else do you play??

Spin your yarns here.
Zandit75

What else do you play??

Post by Zandit75 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm always curious to see if musicians have any other instruments that they play other than their primary instrument that they may be known for.
Me personally, I started on the Trombone in Highschool, much to my parents disgust and surprise, who thought I would follow in my Dad's footsteps by learning to play the guitar.
I did eventually take up the guitar, and found I had a singing voice to go with it.
It may not be to everyone's taste, however please find below one of my cover songs, Whiskey & You.
LeTromboniste

Re: What else do you play??

Post by LeTromboniste » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Most of what I do is more or less related to trombone. No so much modern trombones anymore - haven't taken my 42 out of its case for months... Sackbuts and other historical trombones. Since recently slide trumpet and ophicleide. Less directly related to trombone, I'm currently taking singing lessons and starting to learn recorder. And I've done a lot of orchestral conducting, if that counts as an instrument :P
Maximilien Brisson
Finetales

Post by Finetales » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Bass and tenor trombones are my primaries these days, but I double all the brass and also play synthesizers.
StevenC

Post by StevenC » Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm

For most of my life, I've noodled and dabbled with any instrument available to me. Non-musicians are impressed. Low brass are the only instruments that I am willing to work to play them usefully. I suppose I might also say hand percussion. This gives me something to do in pop bands when trombone doesn't play.

I'd like to sing more, but it takes time away from trombone playing.
bwilliams

Post by bwilliams » Fri May 04, 2018 5:21 am

The usual suspects: trombone, tuba, euphonium
rumhud

Post by rumhud » Fri May 04, 2018 8:50 am

I'm learning the ophicleide. I imagine my neighbors are not pleased.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse » Fri May 04, 2018 11:09 am

I'm a doubler on alto, tenor and bass trombones and I play decent euphonium. I have played piano as an accompanging player (in my youth). I have also had more than one performing experience as a payed choralist.

From all these instruments I have over time earned my living, at least partly.

I have studied base and drums for about a year at the royal academy of music in Stockholm. It was a part of the education, and it came handy later when I worked as a music teacher. Back then I played trumpet, tuba, electric bass, synthesiser and drums besides the earlier listed if needed, but my skills on those latter instruments never became more than rudimentary, even though I worked for 13 years as a music teacher. I would not do any of those instruments in public today.

In the future I hope to be a better tubist. Not ready for an audience on tuba yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do practice tuba so it is one of my goals to raise my hand for a tuba gig ;-)

/ Tom
"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Other than trom.... Euphonium, Trumpet/Cornet, Piano. I also conduct and compose/arrange (badly!)
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty » Sat May 05, 2018 8:58 am

I play bass, tenor, and alto trombone regularly. Also tuba and euphonium very regularly. Other instruments... cornet, flugelhorn, percussion, drum set, piano (just chord changes), and a very bass upright bass.
Dean McCarty
Houston area freelancer

“Have a good time... all the time.” - Derrick Smalls, Spinal Tap :cool:
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Tuba was my main instrument for many years. I'm still learning on trombone. I also play Euphonium and some bass guitar. Trombone gets my time and focus now. Its a great instrument.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
walldaja

Post by walldaja » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm

My primary instrument is trumpet, but early on it was trombone. I played in several groups as a designated "player", either trumpet or trombone. I also play euphonium and bass guitar. Trying to learn guitar, but still in early stages though I have played it out once, led singing in a jail ministry. I don't play keyboard and was able to play the melody and sing at the same time. Too bad those attending were locked in.
Dave

Antoine Courtois AC280BO with Stork 4
Getzen 351 Tenor with Yamaha 51D
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Wedge 5G
islander

Post by islander » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:08 am

I've been a sax player most of my life, mainly baritone sax but I play all the other main ones, doubling clarinet and bass clarinet too. Oh, and a lot of bass trombone with some occasional tenor thrown in.
JohnD

Post by JohnD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am

Trumpet. My sousphone retired but will never sell it, don't care about flugelhorn or cornet so much, sold them. Euphonium is s rare job for a Bavarian band, just to do a friend a favor.....
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:58 am

My main instruments are piano and flute, been playing those for most of my (short) life, and I picked up trombone 2 years ago and I love it
-----
"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you." -- Stephen Wright
dershem

Post by dershem » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Brass. Primarily a trumpet player, but ... everything from french horn to tuba, though my tuba is just an EEb. Latin percussion, of course, and BG vocals.
TriJim

Post by TriJim » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Alphorn!

Return to “Tangents”