Marcus Bonna Double Tenor + Alto Case Review

ttf_AntonioPatrick

Post by ttf_AntonioPatrick »

Now that I am in my second year of undergraduate study I have decided to invest in a double case that is plane safe (overhead), lightweight, and durable.

I decided on the Marcus Bonna double because I called up The HornGuys and that is what they recommended. It was expensive but they said it would last forever and it was worth the money.
So... here are my impressions on the case

At first glance:
Sleek, stylish and very very lightweight. Comes with very nice leather backpack and shoulder straps. Also has an attached pocket for music. I put my Arbans, Rochut, Blazhevich, Bona, and Kopprash in there no prob. The pouch also has two straps for a trombone stand!!!

Inside:
Very well designed. No space that is not taken advantage of. The case comes with adjustable pads to fit your horns to the case. My alto has a trill valve (eventually going to trade it in and get a Shires) and it fit no problem. My Edwards fit nicely and has room for the bullet brace too. (Not Rath I am assuming:( )

Also has a pocket bigger than the brown Bach style pockets. Also came with a three pouch mouthpiece holder.

One problem... No room for a cleaning rod

Quality:
You get what you pay for. $700 is a lot, but every seam is stitched very well and the leather looks very nice. The fabric they use to cover the case also looks very durable and high quality.

Price: ***
Durability: *****
Quality:*****
Design:*****
Comfort/Weight: *****

ALSO!!!
The Horn Guys are amazing people and they take their job very seriously I would highly recommend buying from them. They were nice to me, knew my name when they said bye, and even went out of their way to fit the case with horns to make sure mine would fit. Very good customer service!
ttf_tombone21

Post by ttf_tombone21 »

All of the pictures I've seen show the alto stacked on top of the tenor. Is it too much of a hassle taking out the alto bell to get to the tenor, or is it possible to put the alto bell under the tenor section, for times when you're only using your tenor?
ttf_AntonioPatrick

Yes that is correct the alto goes on top of the tenor. It is not a hassle, it only adds a few seconds and no you cannot have the tenor on top.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

So so you think a small bore tenor and large bore tenor would fit in there? 

By the look of the pictures it might work with a tight squeeze...
ttf_Mark LaFratta

Post by ttf_Mark LaFratta »

I  also have one. It will not hold two tenors.  Bonna makes a slightly longer model case that will hold two tenors.
MJL
ttf_AntonioPatrick

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Oct 28, 2015, 12:26PMSo so you think a small bore tenor and large bore tenor would fit in there? 

By the look of the pictures it might work with a tight squeeze...

Ya no. Only a tenor and alto will fit. Which is nice because it fits on all overheads.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I imagine this case also suffers with the issue of one bell being upside down when stored vertically?
ttf_tombone21

Post by ttf_tombone21 »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Nov 02, 2015, 08:05PMI imagine this case also suffers with the issue of one bell being upside down when stored vertically?

Is that an issue?
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

You can configure it so that the tenor goes on top and the alto goes on bottom.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: tombone21 on Nov 03, 2015, 12:31PMIs that an issue?

It is, especially if your alto has a valve. One of the horns' valve oil will leak into the tuning slide and turn the slide grease into this honey substance that gunks the whole horn up.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Seems like MB cases all have "issues" with where water goes when stored in them.  I stopped using an MB case awhile back in part because it kept leaking water from my slide onto my raw brass bell.  Kind of petty and minor, but annoying to me nonetheless.  Its funny though, the pictures aren't very good that exist of the double cases.  THe ones I've seen in person had some kind of barrier between them, although it may have just been a crafty person putting a black towel in between them or something.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Is it just me, or is $700 a lot for a case?
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Nov 03, 2015, 06:56PMIs it just me, or is $700 a lot for a case?

I used to think so, until my sensible wife asked me why I always trying to put by ~$6000 Shires bass in a $200 case.  A case with good protection can pay for itself due to fewer repair bills.
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Nov 03, 2015, 03:34PMIt is, especially if your alto has a valve. One of the horns' valve oil will leak into the tuning slide and turn the slide grease into this honey substance that gunks the whole horn up.

I never seem to have this problem.  Do you not use Hetman's lubes?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: Dan Hine on Nov 05, 2015, 01:02PMI never seem to have this problem.  Do you not use Hetman's lubes?

Yes hetmans all day.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: ChadA on Nov 05, 2015, 07:12AMI used to think so, until my sensible wife asked me why I always trying to put by ~$6000 Shires bass in a $200 case.  A case with good protection can pay for itself due to fewer repair bills.

Not a problem here. In fact, a $500 horn would look a bit funny in a $700 case. Slight exaggeration, maybe, but none of my horns are over $2k. I've got a weakness for classic horns.
ttf_AntonioPatrick

Just a heads up, you CANNOT reverse the order of what goes on top. The pocket gets in the way and the bell compartments are not interchangeable. Alto must be on top.
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

Quote from: AntonioPatrick on Nov 09, 2015, 07:31AMJust a heads up, you CANNOT reverse the order of what goes on top. The pocket gets in the way and the bell compartments are not interchangeable. Alto must be on top.

With a valve-less alto you actually can. Just switch up the placement of the velcro padding in between the horns and you can put alto on bottom and tenor on top. I did that for a while and a few others here in Boston do that as well.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

FYI you can't fit a large tenor with valve and a shires alto with a valve in this case. I bought the tenor double case to fit both of my horns.
ttf_Mark LaFratta

I do not. Know anything about fit of shires, but I have the case. I it have been using it for two years. It very nicely holds my Elkhart conn 88h and my 36h conn alto. Both have valves.
MJL
ttf_Mark LaFratta

I was the last person to post on this topic. At the time I was playing all conns and was saying that my 88h and 36h Alto with valve would fit together in the case no problem. Someone else had said that a large tenor would not fit with a shires alto with Bb valve. I also said a year and a half ago that I did not know about shires fit at all.  I am suspecting that perhaps what would make them not fit was a Thayer style valve. Earlier this year at ATW in DC I bought a sauer model shires with dual bore rotor. The rotor is quite small.  I also ordered an alto with Bb valve. It arrived a couple of days ago. The two horns fit in the bonna double case just fine. MJL
ttf_Mark LaFratta

I was the last person to post on this topic. At the time I was playing all conns and was saying that my 88h and 36h Alto with valve would fit together in the case no problem. Someone else had said that a large tenor would not fit with a shires alto with Bb valve. I also said a year and a half ago that I did not know about shires fit at all.  I am suspecting that perhaps what would make them not fit was a Thayer style valve. Earlier this year at ATW in DC I bought a sauer model shires with dual bore rotor. The rotor is quite small.  I also ordered an alto with Bb valve. It arrived a couple of days ago. The two horns fit in the bonna double case just fine. MJL

Return to “Accessories”