Shilkret Concerto

ttf_NateR

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_NateR »

I recently came across a Christian Lindberg recording of him playing the Nathaniel Shilkret concerto (originally written for Tommy Dorsey) and really enjoyed the piece. I've done some digging and much to my dismay, can't seem to find the sheet music anywhere. Does anyone know if the piece is still published? or if the music is available?

Any help would be great!

-Thanks
ttf_BGuttman

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We've had this discussion before.  You probably didn't do a deep enough search.

There was an article in the ITA Journal about the Shilkret Concerto done by the trombonist who actually unearthed the parts and negotiated permission to play it with the Shilkret family.

Surprisingly, Dorsey only did one performance of the concerto and it was never recorded.  Two other performances were done by Will Bradley and Murray MacEachern.

I really don't know if the actual music is available, but there is a reproduction of at least part of the solo in the ITA article.

You might also check the Lindberg site to see if he has a link to get the music.

ttf_NateR

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_NateR »

Bruce,

Thanks. I'll check that out. 
ttf_anonymous

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: NateR on Mar 14, 2008, 01:59PMI recently came across a Christian Lindberg recording of him playing the Nathaniel Shilkret concerto (originally written for Tommy Dorsey) and really enjoyed the piece. I've done some digging and much to my dismay, can't seem to find the sheet music anywhere. Does anyone know if the piece is still published? or if the music is available?

Any help would be great!

-Thanks

Good morning folks.

My good friend emailed this to me a couple of nights ago

http://trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=292

ttf_anonymous

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm just a huge fan of Tommy Dorsey in general and am looking to get a copy of the solo to play for a few audtions and have for practice in my spare time. Is this not possible or something? It doesn't make any sense why such a good concerto would be barred from other good trombonists. Its like shutting down the best ride at an amusement park.  Image There isn't one place where I can go and just place an order to get this solo?
ttf_SilverBone

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Doodle92 on Jul 29, 2011, 07:17PM There isn't one place where I can go and just place an order to get this solo?

No.  Rental only, with orchestra (I think a band version is available too).
ttf_anonymous

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I shall find other means.... with a pencil , staff paper , and my ears  Image
ttf_vegasbound

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

I would strongly recomend Jim Pugh's recording on his cd X-over trombone, the sleeve notes about how the concerto had to be piueced back together are very interesting!
ttf_djdekok

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Quote from: SilverBone on Jul 30, 2011, 12:39PMNo.  Rental only, with orchestra (I think a band version is available too).
rental from whom?

ttf_SilverBone

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

ttf_djdekok

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_djdekok »

ttf_anonymous

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Little over zealous if you ask me...Why deny people such a fine piece of music....  Image
ttf_djdekok

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Quote from: Doodle92 on Nov 06, 2011, 07:26PMLittle over zealous if you ask me...Why deny people such a fine piece of music....  Image
Hey, you're preaching to the converted--but in the interest of full disclosure, the body of work produced by Nathaniel Shilkret isn't the only one jealously guarded by its owners/creators/administrators.  I had a similar problem when I made inquiries about arranging the music of another relatively minor American orchestral composer (he's better known as a stride pianist).  In my conversation with the administrator, it became increasingly apparent that he wasn't willing to let just anyone mess with his grandfather's legacy, or to possibly profit from it.  I wonder if the parties involved realize that a vital part of the musical legacy of these composers and performers is in the PERFORMANCE and HEARING and RECORDING of their work. While it's true that there are "hacks" out there who care little for things like copyright law, The families need to realize that the vast majority of musical entities (solo and ensemble performers) out there want nothing more than to honor the music. Do what you want to the recording industry, but at least give us a fighting chance to perform worthy music.
ttf_athletes21

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_athletes21 »

I know this is an old post, but just wondering if there are any updates as to the publishing of this piece and if there are any ways to obtain the score to play it?
ttf_SilverBone

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: athletes21 on Jul 06, 2017, 02:51PMI know this is an old post, but just wondering if there are any updates as to the publishing of this piece and if there are any ways to obtain the score to play it?

Rental only.  <sigh>
ttf_Bellend

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 14, 2008, 03:15PMWe've had this discussion before.  You probably didn't do a deep enough search.

There was an article in the ITA Journal about the Shilkret Concerto done by the trombonist who actually unearthed the parts and negotiated permission to play it with the Shilkret family.

Surprisingly, Dorsey only did one performance of the concerto and it was never recorded.  Two other performances were done by Will Bradley and Murray MacEachern.

I really don't know if the actual music is available, but there is a reproduction of at least part of the solo in the ITA article.

You might also check the Lindberg site to see if he has a link to get the music.

Actually this is incorrect, there is a recording of Dorsey Playing this piece and it is available on CD here
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/691/Nathaniel-Shilkret-Concerto-for-Trombone-and-Orchestra

Leopold Stokowski conducts Shilkret, Gould & Creston

Shilkret:

Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra

Tommy Dorsey (trombone)

New York City Symphony Orchestra

I've just ordered one.

BellEnd

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Nice find!
ttf_djdekok

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Has anyone here in the Forum heard BOTH the Shilkret and the Bolcom Concertos?  I've only heard the Shilkret, but from what I've read about the Bolcom, the structure and style are similar. Anyone out there who can verify that?

BTW: EB Marks will be publishing the Bolcom and expects to have it available later this year. I obtained this information first-hand from Evan Hause at Marks: "It is in production and will be published by Hal Leonard in a few months." (MODERATOR: I will post this on the appropriate thread)
ttf_athletes21

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_athletes21 »

Quote from: SilverBone on Jul 06, 2017, 06:24PMRental only.  <sigh>

where can you find the rental?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The owner (relative) rents it out I believe. Search for it online. It's a cool piece, but it's not THAT cool. The Nyman concerto ... now THAT'S cool.
ttf_SilverBone

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Just stumbled across this:

http://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2010/08/sunday-gramophone-nathaniel-shilkret

Stokowski/Hollywood Bowl/LA Phil
Shilkret Concerto
Hoyt Bohannon soloist

It's even downloadable!
ttf_SilverBone

Shilkret Concerto

Post by ttf_SilverBone »