Olds Custom Crafted P24-G Bass Trombone

RBBERN01

Olds Custom Crafted P24-G Bass Trombone

Post by RBBERN01 »

Hi everyone! I recently picked up this F.E. Olds Custom Crafted P24-G Bass Trombone off eBay and was wanting to try and get more information on it. I have found a lot of information on these horns online, but have noticed that all of the pictures look different. I was wondering if this is something that is stock coming out of the factory, or if it was something custom done afterwards?

I also can’t tell you yet what it the second trigger is pitched in, it is currently bent inwards so I’m taking it to my repair guy tomorrow to get it adjusted and playable.

Lastly, if anyone has an estimated idea on how much these cost I’d love to hear it. I think I got a great deal on it, but want to know for sure. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rudytbone

Re: Olds Custom Crafted P24-G Bass Trombone

Post by rudytbone »

A number of Olds catalogs can be found here: https://olds-central.com/catalogs/

I do think that's a one off Custom - I haven't found P-24 as a standard Bass trombone model
Trombones -
Bach 42 LT-BOGH
Martin Committee
Olds NP15MS
1950s Olds Super Los Angeles
Olds O-20 Valve/Slide
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Looks like a stock P-24 with a D slide for the 2nd valve. Usually pitched in G or Gb
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

You have an Olds P24G with the optional Eb/D tuning slide on the 2nd valve (normally pitched in G).

JohnL is a forum member and will likely add some detailed info. Here's a link to his website that includes a description of your horn's configuration:
http://itsabear.com/Olds_Docs/P24G_Facts.pdf

FYI, my bass has the bell section of a P24G. In stock configuration my bass plays in Bb/F/G/Eb. With the tuning slides swapped, it plays in modern Bb/F/Gb/D.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

P24g are sort of rare, but aren't exactly popular either. They are under rated in my view. The valves were a bit odd, but it works. The value is generally around and under $2000, depending on condition.

I had one and really liked it. Absolutely shouldn't have sold it.
RBBERN01

Post by RBBERN01 »

Thanks everyone. The thing that is throwing me off is the wrap on the attachments. From all the pictures I’ve seen it looks different and almost like it’s taller and more open.

Also, this one might be for sale in the near future after I play test it against my Benge. Whichever one I like less will be on the market.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

RBBERN01 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:59 pm Thanks everyone. The thing that is throwing me off is the wrap on the attachments. From all the pictures I’ve seen it looks different and almost like it’s taller and more open.

Also, this one might be for sale in the near future after I play test it against my Benge. Whichever one I like less will be on the market.
I believe that's because they were usually pitched Bb/F/G/Eb, but the second valve on your horn has the factory option longer crook. So yes, yours is taller and more open because of that. You should be able to remove the entire crook, and it probably has a tuning slide in it.

I'm pretty sure all of them say "Custom Crafted" on the bell. https://reverb.com/item/39249281-olds-c ... t-triggers
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Here is a pic of my Eb-D extension.
20240507_222128.jpg
The color is a bit off, which makes it look like it's brass; it's actually nickel silver.

They originally came with a crook and there was a stop rod so you could switch from Eb to D quickly. Unfortunately, a previous owner butchered the original crook to make a Gb crook (that's I don't have pics of it on my website; it's not complete).

You should be able to take the extension out of the loop and just use the crook.

One thing: It looks like your extension might be a bit longer, though that could just be a matter of a wide-ish lens and the picture being taken at an angle. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the tuning. What notes can you play in first position with just the second valve engaged?

It also looks like there's been some work done on the valve levers. Not surprising; most people don't like the originals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

RBBERN01 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:59 pm Also, this one might be for sale in the near future after I play test it against my Benge. Whichever one I like less will be on the market.
If you decide to sell the Olds, would you consider selling me the Eb-D extension separately? I'd love to have it for my P24G.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

That second slide looks as long as my Bach bass 2nd that makes C.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

LeoInFL wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:15 am
RBBERN01 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:59 pm Also, this one might be for sale in the near future after I play test it against my Benge. Whichever one I like less will be on the market.
If you decide to sell the Olds, would you consider selling me the Eb-D extension separately? I'd love to have it for my P24G.
And I'd like a shot at the rest of the horn.

The tuning slides for the two triggers are interchangeable, right? So you should be able to put that extension on the F valve and get a C out of it? And that would give an A double valve combo?

How does it play with all that extra plumbing?

Return to “Instruments”