Help with choosing a trombone

MoondropI

Help with choosing a trombone

Post by MoondropI »

I played for a long time on an instrument I was given in college.
Now I have decided that I want to have my own instrument. I don't have a big budget, so I'm considering used horns.
But I don't know which one I can buy would be the best.
1. YSL-882U
2. YSL-648
3. YSL-6420
4. YBL-3210R
4. Bach 42B
I would like to know more about these horns. I'm especially interested in 882u and 648.
I couldn't find almost any information about 882u.
BGuttman

Re: Help with choosing a trombone

Post by BGuttman »

If you are on a budget, the Yamaha 648 should have the lowest cost as it is a much older model (replaced by the 682, the 620, probably a newer model by now). They are very good instruments although they would be over 40 years old by now. There is an intermediate version called 448.

I believe the 882U is a Japan only version of a Xeno model with a unique valve. 882 is a Xeno (upscale) version of the 682 with some improvements.

YSL 6420 and 3210 are Japanese models that we don't see here in the US. 3210 is probably a student instrument and should be less expensive than any of the other Yamaha models new. If it is no longer current, it probably carries a much lower price tag than even the 648.

Bach 42B can be a real gamble and you should play test it before you buy. They have been in production a LONG time (over 50 years) and some may show considerable wear. Also, Bach has inconsistent manufacture and some are great and some are not. And age is not a predictor of this.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MoondropI

Post by MoondropI »

I brought these particular models because these are local instruments.
In my region they cost about the same, although 882u and bach 42b are indeed slightly more expensive than the others. Am I correct in understanding that of all these horns, the 882u is perhaps the best and most reliable option?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Not necessarily. I would go with a 6xx series Yamaha, like the 648.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My experience is that Yamaha has the most consistent manufacture and good quality. You can get a better Bach than most Yamahas but you will have to try a bunch to find it.

I don't know the track record of the 882U, but 882 models are considered a little better than the 682 (although I didn't hear the difference, but what do I know).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MoondropI

Post by MoondropI »

Thanks
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They're all limited. This is the limit of what you can do on a 648:

:lol:
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

The model code YBL means that horn is a bass trombone. If you are not considering switching to bass, the YBL-3210 is out of question.

The 882U might be the newest of this bunch, and is part of the Xeno line (Xeno gen I, while the current horns csn be considered gen III). Horns in the Xeno line is made heavier to “mimic” American/western horns. If you are used to Western horns, this one potentially requires the least adjustment. The U indicates JDM, however, and it is not surprising that you cannot find much information.

The 648 can be either older or newer. It is an intermediate model, but should serve you well.

The 6420’s 4-digit model number points to 1980s. The spec is more or less the same with 648.

How much are the horns? And what shape are the horns in?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have a Bach LT42AG Hagmann gold brass bell lightweight nickel slide, a straight LT42G, and a Bach LT6. In the past I owned a Bach 42. As Bruce says, there are some dogs out there. It appears that you can try it out locally. That’s actually good for any horn. Good Bach trombones are work horses and in the past, staples. Good ones, well maintained, will last a lifetime. In full disclosure, the LT6 improved after some rework due to a freak stand mishap.

I have a Yamaha 697Z and a 653. Both are good horns. They both have developed finicky slides at midlife. 15 years. The 697Z is usually in the shop when I need it for gig. The 653 slide got roughness in the outer slide. I lucked out and found a “new” old stock slide from Yamaha. But Yamaha no longer supports them. They are good horns. If you try one and it is a perfect fit, go for it.

However, my experience is mainstream Bach trombones are maintainable. Yamaha parts are not anvailable annd tend to be unique. Again, in full disclosure, the LT6 has been out of production for many years. Parts for it could be difficult to procure. On the other hand, parts for the 697Z are nonexistent: The tight tolerances of the slide make interchangeability a real crap shot.
Last edited by OneTon on Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
MoondropI

Post by MoondropI »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:38 am The model code YBL means that horn is a bass trombone. If you are not considering switching to bass, the YBL-3210 is out of question.

The 882U might be the newest of this bunch, and is part of the Xeno line (Xeno gen I, while the current horns csn be considered gen III). Horns in the Xeno line is made heavier to “mimic” American/western horns. If you are used to Western horns, this one potentially requires the least adjustment. The U indicates JDM, however, and it is not surprising that you cannot find much information.

The 648 can be either older or newer. It is an intermediate model, but should serve you well.

The 6420’s 4-digit model number points to 1980s. The spec is more or less the same with 648.

How much are the horns? And what shape are the horns in?
All horns are in good condition, the varnish is a little worn. As for the cost, the 882u and 42b cost approximately $1400, the 6420 costs $1800, and the 648 costs $1000.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

The 6420 is much too expensive.

Try the 882U, 42B, and 648 if you can, and buy the one you like. If have to buy sight unseen, I would go with the 648 and use the $400 elsewhere.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
MoondropI

Post by MoondropI »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:17 am The 6420 is much too expensive.

Try the 882U, 42B, and 648 if you can, and buy the one you like. If have to buy sight unseen, I would go with the 648 and use the $400 elsewhere.
Thanks
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The condition of the slide is probably the most important aspect of that list of horns. Other differences will be less important. The valve condition is next followed by general dents.

If those are local and you can play test, thats the ultimate test. To me, the feel of the horn while playing is the important part.

Return to “Instruments”