Griego Alessi 6C to Greg Black 4G?

Jackjack

Griego Alessi 6C to Greg Black 4G?

Post by Jackjack »

I've been using the Griego Alessi 6C for about 4 years, and I'm quite satisfied with it. However, I'm considering trying the Greg Black 4G.

The reason I'm interested in the Greg Black 4G is because I admire someone who plays with it, and it's the only one available at Thomann in Germany, allowing me to test it without risk.

I've noticed a specific difference in the cup diameter and bore size between the two mouthpieces. The bore size is slightly smaller in the Greg Black, while the cup diameter is a bit bigger.

I'm particularly interested in improving my articulation and reducing air leaks from the sides of my lips. I don't experience any air leaks with my current bass trombone mouthpiece, the Griego GP.

So, I want to try something slightly larger than my current mouthpiece, but not as large as a bass trombone mouthpiece.

Has anyone had experience with both mouthpieces or specifically played on the Greg Black? How does it compare to the Griego Alessi (I believe it's the Griego Artist now)?

I'm curious to hear about your experiences and whether you found any improvements in these areas.
arich621

Re: Griego Alessi 6C to Greg Black 4G?

Post by arich621 »

The Greg Black NY 7 would be the closest thing to the Griego Alessi/Artist 6C in terms of rim diameter and cup depth. The Greg Black rim won’t be quite as round, but I find that makes the articulations speak easier than on the Griego. The Griego has a lot of brilliance from the backbore, the GB NY will not be quite as tight of a backbore and but still has some resistance compared to his 4G backbore. The way the mass is distributed also makes a difference, the Griego has most of the mass around the rim while the GB NY is more even distributed and the regular weight will have more mass in the cup than the Griego. I would say a GB NY7 in lightweight is your best bet for a comparable piece but with some noticeable differences in sound/response still.
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

arich621 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm The Greg Black NY 7 would be the closest thing to the Griego Alessi/Artist 6C in terms of rim diameter and cup depth. The Greg Black rim won’t be quite as round, but I find that makes the articulations speak easier than on the Griego. The Griego has a lot of brilliance from the backbore, the GB NY will not be quite as tight of a backbore and but still has some resistance compared to his 4G backbore. The way the mass is distributed also makes a difference, the Griego has most of the mass around the rim while the GB NY is more even distributed and the regular weight will have more mass in the cup than the Griego. I would say a GB NY7 in lightweight is your best bet for a comparable piece but with some noticeable differences in sound/response still.
Unfortunately GB 4G is only option i have right now without risk. I hope some difference help from 4G i think. Good to hear there is a Shape difference also that might help Articulation. Thanks for the information
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I would say a solid no. The 4G is like the Alessi 4F, though probably even deeper. You'd be using a larger rim size than you do now and a much, much deeper cup- there's a reason most of the top GB artists use the GSD or similar in-between cup sizes. Even David Finlayson doesn't use a 4G!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:23 am I would say a solid no. The 4G is like the Alessi 4F, though probably even deeper. You'd be using a larger rim size than you do now and a much, much deeper cup- there's a reason most of the top GB artists use the GSD or similar in-between cup sizes. Even David Finlayson doesn't use a 4G!
Thanks for the reply and your opinion.Than i have to reconsider.

Another Option that i have is 5GS/L in used market. I think L stands for Light right? Do you have maybe any options of this one? Thanks again for your opinion
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Jackjack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:09 am
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:23 am I would say a solid no. The 4G is like the Alessi 4F, though probably even deeper. You'd be using a larger rim size than you do now and a much, much deeper cup- there's a reason most of the top GB artists use the GSD or similar in-between cup sizes. Even David Finlayson doesn't use a 4G!

Another Option that i have is 5GS/L in used market. I think L stands for Light right? Do you have maybe any options of this one? Thanks again for your opinion
That's much closer to what you play. But why do you feel the need to change?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:18 am
Jackjack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:09 am

That's much closer to what you play. But why do you feel the need to change?
Actually, it's just pure curiosity. I've been using my Griego mouthpiece for quite a while, and I think changing it might give me a new feeling and motivation. Like I mentioned, I want a slightly bigger rim, which might help with air leakage around the sides of my lips. I admire those who play with GB mouthpieces. Improving my articulation and air leakage is my main goal
arich621

Post by arich621 »

The 5GS L will be much closer to the Griego, and might at least give you an idea of how Greg’s pieces feel and play in case you want to go down that road further. Like Aidan said, the 4G is so far away from what you’re playing it’ll be no help at all.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Have you considered the Greg Black NY series? It would have a more similar feel compared to what you're playing now. If you want a slightly larger rim, you may like the NY 5.5
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I will say that, despite the wide rim thickness of the Alessi series, (contrast with the Doug Elliott "N" rim shape), because the high point is quite close to the inner rim, I could see why someone might have air leaks out their corners on that.
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

Thank you all for the reply. I think i need to find a NY series instead of normal one or Symphony. I found a newyork 5 in stock as new. Might give a try. Thanks!

Return to “Mouthpieces”