Recommendations: 42B refurbish / valve replacement

Chazzer69

Recommendations: 42B refurbish / valve replacement

Post by Chazzer69 »

Hi all. I have a 42B that has been in my possession (40ish years) through high school, college, and now. It's been through the ringer and I'm thinking of getting it stripped, relacquered/replated and possible replacing the original valve with something newer, even though I don't play it anymore. Would love recommendations for getting the refinishing work done, preferably somewhere in the southeastern US and what valves are recommended as 'easy' replacements (e.g. not requiring significant modifications to the existing tubing). TIA!
DCIsky

Re: Recommendations: 42B refurbish / valve replacement

Post by DCIsky »

The Instrument Innovations rotary valve is a common 42b retrofit valve.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Rotax or Caidex should fit with a little less re-jiggering... But anything takes work.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Chazzer69

Post by Chazzer69 »

Thanks for the responses.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you are going to have the valve replaced, you may want to look into having the gooseneck replaced as well. It is often considered to be undersized for the horn.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
posaunebone

Post by posaunebone »

As someone who has gone deeply down the "build a better Bach" rabbit hole, you'll regret not going whole hog if you're doing the valve replacement. Rather than reworking just the rotor replacement, take into account linkage upgrade, gooseneck, bracing changes, making it modular if you choose to, etc. I ended up spending more over a more gradual period of time with my instrument innovations rebuild than what a full conversion would have been.

The much more economic option is modernizing the horn a bit through porting open the rotor, updating linkage, and having someone check the horn over for any stress and adjusting braces as necessary and stripping the lacquer vs a full color buff and relacquer. It may accomplish the playing upgrades and quality of life improvements you're looking for without spending conversion $.

The most important thing in my opinion is weighing if the horn you have is worth the significant investment if you do go "whole hog" and have a new rotor section built / relacquer job / someone like M&W do a conversion. I went through about 12 Bach 42's before deciding on the bell section that is ultimately my keeper that I sunk a ton into.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I would highly recommend the Instrument Innovations Rotary Valve. I had it installed on my 42BO and love it.
The Olsens are great to work with and have GREAT customer service
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

The Instrument Innovations rotors are fine, but they are cylindrical rotors and not tapered, and thus will lose seal through typical wear much more quickly than a traditional rotor.

Contact Miles O'Malley in Chicago. He can keep the original horn intact and simply manufacture a replacement rotor core that will seal properly, or replace the rotor and casing with a traditional design and appropriately sized gooseneck. Slide repair/rebuilding is also available as needed. https://www.omalleyhorns.com/
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Blabberbucket wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:41 pm but they are cylindrical rotors and not tapered, and thus will lose seal through typical wear much more quickly than a traditional rotor.
With all due respect, this is simply not true. A correctly fit cylindrical rotor, with either traditional tapered bearings, or ball bearings (such as provided on the Olson rotor) does not wear anywhere on the face of the rotor, because the rotor core is suspended between the 2 bearing spindles. There is no contact surface to wear, unlike on tapered rotors. My own rotor design is cylindrical, with tapered bearings. I have been playing on one for 9 years now with zero loss of seal. The Greenhoe valve is the same. There is nothing wrong with cylindrical valve bodies (as long as they're well fit!)
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

jannickz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:03 am Here are some popular choices for the 42B: * Schilke Accu-Tune valves: Known for good intonation and smooth action. * DW Performance Series valves: Offer good playability and are a popular upgrade.
Ah, yes, those very actual things. DW Performance Series are drum kits.

Kill the bot...
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

I would highly recommend Corey Divine in Arkansas. He just did this sort of upgrade on a Bach 50 I had, with instrument innovation valves. Wonderful work was done.
I’ve played a Bach 42 for years, and if you don’t like the valve, instrument innovations makes a great product. If you’re a weirdo like me that does, having someone build the horn back the right way with no tension will enhance every aspect of the horn.
Chazzer69

Post by Chazzer69 »

Thanks again for the suggestions.
CJ
AKA: World Champion Trombone Holder
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

A more modest but still effective upgrade to the valve would be to have it "ported out" by a reputable repair tech.
Stock rotary valves from that era are considered "undersized" at the valve openings themselves, and there is usually enought tolerance to have the openings drilled to be rounded and slightly enlarged.

I had one done (German make) at Osmun Music (near Boston) but there may be a qualified shop near you. This affects both the closed and open side of the horn quite favorably. And of course, MAKE SURE to have a nylon bearing valve linkage conversion done. Those old ball joints were awful!
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet

Return to “Modification & Repair”