Modifying interior of Conn 70's case

Mertelstein

Modifying interior of Conn 70's case

Post by Mertelstein »

My 1978 (approx.) 73H is still in its original case, but that case doesn't fit the trombone when I add a D attachment. The "cushion" for the bell section which is in the lid of the case is too fat. I know a few people have modified cases, and I'm wondering whether it's possible to adjust the height of the cushion - do I need to just take it out and replace it (and if so, how do you go about removing it and replacing it)? Or is it possible to take some of the interior out (and if so, how do I do that?)?

Sorry - as you can tell I'm a bit clueless on this kind of thing, but I'd rather try and amend the case than splash out on a new one (even a second hand one).

Thanks all.
"Don't look at the trombones, you'll only encourage them."
ithinknot

Re: Modifying interior of Conn 70's case

Post by ithinknot »

If it's the Conn original D tubing, there's no case problem if you put on the same side as the F wrap. (L/R weight distribution is marginally worse that way, but that's a different story.) See photo below. Obviously, you might have an aftermarket D wrap that only fits on the other side.

In any case, that cushion is just glued to the velour lining of the case lid, and you can remove it by hand. Break the glue and peel it back with flat fingers or a ruler and you shouldn't damage anything. If you just grab it and yank, you'll probably tear the lining. Once it's out, you can do any surgery from the back side and keep the visible cover intact. Glue it back in with a few strategically placed glue gun blobs. (Rubber cement would work, but the case will stink for ages.)
73H.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ithinknot on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

The "cushion" part of the case is usually glued in, so you should be able to pull it out. You need to be careful you're pulling the glue apart rather than tearing the fabric. The felt fabric is wrapped around the foam cushion and is glued to it, so you should be able to just unwrap it. Then you can cut the foam any way you like or replace it. I use 3M adhesive spray on the parts I want to glue back in. Any hardware inside the case, like compartments or shelves, are usually held in with screws or nails.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Mertelstein

Post by Mertelstein »

Thanks so much to both of you for this - it is an aftermarket D slide so is on the other side of the F wrap. This is great advice - I will get cracking and report back.
"Don't look at the trombones, you'll only encourage them."

Return to “Modification & Repair”