Salt shaker mute

Mikebmiller

Salt shaker mute

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have resisted buying a bucket mute for many years as they are so huge and a pain to deal with. But this looks interesting. Anybody ever try one?

https://s-mute.com/collections/trombone-mutes
muschem

Re: Salt shaker mute

Post by muschem »

Never tried one of those, but that cork system looks interesting. It would be great if more mute makers pick up the design Butler uses on his carbon fiber mutes.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Austin Custom Brass has a 3 week old YouTube video demonstrating the Saltshaker that includes a comparison to a traditional bucket mute. The idea is cool. I liked the combination with an Al Grey modified plunger. Trombone Chat members that purchase this will be happy for hours.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I gave up on my Humes & Berg - too bulky, hard to clip on the bell without scratching it. I tried a Jo-Ral bucket but didn't like it. I switched to a Softone neoprene "bucket" mute. Sounds good to me, can be used as a practice mute, and takes up a lot less room in my mute bag than a rigid mute. https://www.iranepus.com/index.php?opti ... 2&Itemid=5
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Ira may have a much better solution for a bucket and practice mute. The Salt Shaker mute’s potential will be in much more varied sound options that lay outside the realm of traditional mutes. It is similar to getting to experiment with an early New Orleans player’s Coke (TM) bottle, assuming they did that, without tearing up your bell.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
NathanSobieralski

Post by NathanSobieralski »

Hello everyone! My name is Nathan Sobieralski, and I am the creator of the Salt Shaker Mute for Trumpet and Trombone and inventor of the (patent pending!) removable cork system for brass instrument mutes.

Response to this mute from both the players I worked with developing the mute and to the customers who have since purchased it has been extremely positive. The most frequent comment I get about the mute is its similarity of sound to a traditional bucket, without all the drama that comes with a traditional bucket mute. It, of course, does not sound 100% EXACTLY like a bucket, but it is close, such that it could pass for one in live settings. FWIW the various bucket mutes all have their own particular timbre.

The removable cork system lets you customize the mute for virtually any bell size, simply pop off one set and install another, very quick and easy.

I am quite proud of what this mute has developed into and stand by it 100%. If any of you order it and hate it, feel free to ship it back, and I'll refund less the cost of shipping. I'll make myself available to answer any questions the group might have about this new mute, or my removable cork system in general. Thanks all for your interest.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have one of these and LOVE it.
I find the sound to be somewhere between a Bucket and a Cup. It`s never going to replace a good bucket mute.
try the EZ Bucket - On and off the horn in a flash
I find I use the Salt Shaker when soloing especially when I have a Mic and play with more subtilty.
Nathan is a great guy to deal with to.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

How well does it handle bass bone air flow? Currently using a Softone half-on for playing big bands.
NathanSobieralski

vetsurginc wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:45 am How well does it handle bass bone air flow? Currently using a Softone half-on for playing big bands.
It should blow at least as freely as a straight mute. Since you would be using it for bass trombone I would include the thicker cork set so the mute will fit the bell in the proper place. That's the nice thing about my removable cork system, it's super easy to adjust the mute for a wide range of bell sizes.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I would get one if it was a 90-95% replacement for the absolutely horrible bucket mute. I did notice one thing:

The underlying structure under the removeable cork (the structure holding the cork in place) already looked as thick or thicker than where you might shave a cork down to.

Is the mute just designed to have that much clearance, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I guess I'm looking at it like a straight mute, but obviously it's not. If you implemented the system on a straight mute, it looks too thick to me. Since we got you here, Nathan, sell it to us - what's up with the system, and how is it different from old school mute cork. And so you have a recommended trombone demo for us to check out? I'm pretty interested if it's even remotely interchangeable with a bucket
NathanSobieralski

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:17 pm I would get one if it was a 90-95% replacement for the absolutely horrible bucket mute. I did notice one thing:

The underlying structure under the removeable cork (the structure holding the cork in place) already looked as thick or thicker than where you might shave a cork down to.

Is the mute just designed to have that much clearance, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I guess I'm looking at it like a straight mute, but obviously it's not. If you implemented the system on a straight mute, it looks too thick to me. Since we got you here, Nathan, sell it to us - what's up with the system, and how is it different from old school mute cork. And so you have a recommended trombone demo for us to check out? I'm pretty interested if it's even remotely interchangeable with a bucket
Thanks for these questions! The thinnest corks will put the cork quite close to the mute, about 3/16th of an inch. I am not a trombone player but I imagine that is pretty close to the bell for a trombone mute. The thickest corks are quite thick and allow the mute to fit a bass trombone, so there is quite a bit of adjustment available in the system. This system eliminates the need to do any cork filing or adding of cork material to the existing corks. You would find the salt shaker to be smaller than a trombone straight mute, there is plenty of room with the various cork sizes to adjust the mute to fit your bell.

Re the bucket mute question, the mute comes with 4 felt pads. My intention is for the player to adjust the placement of these in pursuit of a desired sound. There were several configurations that players came up with during testing, some of which are laid out in the felt configuration guide like on the product page.

Here is a demo done by Eric at Austin Custom Brass, he addresses the bucket mute sound question more directly.

Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:17 pm I would get one if it was a 90-95% replacement for the absolutely horrible bucket mute. I did notice one thing:
Harrison,

I'm also interested in the Salt Shaker - but not as a replacement for a bucket mute, since I have what I consider are two acceptable bucket options:
Softone (neoprene fabric) Mute. Folds up to nearly nothing; light, compact, easy on/off, acceptable sound.
Eazy Bucket Mute. Sounds pretty similar to H&B Bucket, but sturdier & much easier on/off. Won't scratch bell.
I use whatever mute my section mates are using. None of us use H&B or Jo-Ral any more.

Why do you find bucket mutes so "horrible?"
NathanSobieralski

For more information about my detachable cork mechanism and related technology see here:

https://s-mute.com/pages/corks-and-prac ... structions

Here are some additional pictures of the cork assemblies, showing the range of thickness. The trombone salt shaker is currently shipping with 0.5, 1.5, and 3. Size 4 can be included on request for bass trombonists.

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That is really cool. Thanks! The mutes sound really cool on the ACB vids.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm That is really cool. Thanks! The mutes sound really cool on the ACB vids.
Harrison,

I'd love to learn your reaction / see your video once you buy a Salt Shaker.

Perhaps you could become a Salt Shaker Trombone Artist?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I still need to do my own vid on the Ullvén mutes. I'll get one of these and review it when I get a chance.

Endorsed artist? You're a funny guy lol. You got me mixed up with someone else who can play.

Those pics of the cork system cleared up what I thought I was seeing. Looks good.
NathanSobieralski

Salt Shaker mutes are back in stock! I've also added separate options for tenor and bass trombone (different cork thickness packages).

One other thing, I have an experimental front cap with no holes that shows some additional promise for color variation. My colleague at Fresno State suggests it makes the mute sound even more like a bucket because it adds some reflective qualities to the sound profile. If you are a member here who orders this weekend I will throw a prototype end cap in with your order. If you ordered previously I will have an option for you as well once I get these end caps in production. Eventually, this will be an add-on item.

https://s-mute.com/products/trombone-sa ... erction.
NathanSobieralski

Hey all, I've got a couple more of the no-holes end caps, I'll include them with orders placed this weekend. After 3/3 they will either be an add-on or part of a bundle. I am only announcing this here for trombonechat, so when you order please follow up with me so I know to include it.
NathanSobieralski

Hey everyone,

I've added a new color option, metallic copper. Also, you can now purchase the mute as a "bundle" that includes the no-holes endcap and all 10 cork thicknesses for maximum adjustment and tone color options.

https://s-mute.com/products/trombone-salt-shaker

Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Sorry, but I'll stick with my blue Salt Shaker. Works great with my blue rubber plunger to play ... blues! ;)
NathanSobieralski

Posaunus wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:28 pm Sorry, but I'll stick with my blue Salt Shaker. Works great with my blue rubber plunger to play ... blues! ;)
I love the blue also. This particular blue was the first color option we implemented at the request of Jens Lindemann.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Still would love a metallic red. Band is the Red Rocket after all 😎
NathanSobieralski

vetsurginc wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 am Still would love a metallic red. Band is the Red Rocket after all 😎
Metallic Red is still on the shortlist for new colors.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The metallic red will make it sound even better. I had to buy the Ullvén mutes just because they were metallic Chilli Red.
NathanSobieralski

Here is my metallic red fail! It turned into "burnished plum," and actually looks pretty good if you are into that vintage/worn look. Its definitely not metallic red though! The search continues. Meanwhile, this mute is now in the bargain bin. Includes all the felts/corks it normally would.

https://s-mute.com/products/bargain-bin ... 2111815917

Return to “Accessories”