Musing about Single Valve Bass

Spin your yarns here.
walldaja

Musing about Single Valve Bass

Post by walldaja »

Normally I play third book in a four bone section in a swing orchestra but had an opportunity to sit in at a rehearsal in place of the bass player who was covering for the double bass. I've had a bass for several years and had only played in one other group setting with two friends who played basses. I played my Yamaha 421G with them for no other reason than to cover all three parts with basses.

I had used the horn more in the past as a solo instrument with organ / piano in a church setting. I just love the sound of the horn. I guess it was the sound that first attracted me to the horn--played one in a store and it just screamed buy me. But not at the price they were asking.

I had thought about buying a two-valve bass originally but settled on the 421 because my initial notion was a "back up" horn for my tenor. Bit of overkill but useful. I only had three notes I couldn't play (B's) at the rehearsal so I just lifted them.

One thing I learned, you bass players have some fun parts.

Looking forward to the next time the chair is open to have more fun.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Posaunus

Re: Musing about Single Valve Bass

Post by Posaunus »

I've been happily playing a single-valve bass for several years, mostly as 4th trombone in a 16-piece swing band (where I have only very infrequent need for a second valve). I may not be a great bass trombonist, but I love playing the instrument and the sound that it makes, and covering the (sometimes interesting - and even fun) charts in front of me.

At my age (advanced) I have little interest in
(a) learning to use a second valve or
(b) hefting the extra weight of a double-valve bass trombone.
;)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Love the one you’re with.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

"One thing I learned, you bass players have some fun parts."

Shhhhh ! We're trying to keep that a secret ! :shuffle:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

At my age (well, I think at any age), I prefer to avoid 6th and 7th position as much as possible. :lol: I just love the independent bass. But if you'd be getting it only for low B's ... don't bother with it. I use my Gb valve (and the two valves together) quite liberally. If I didn't, a single valve would be the way for me to go.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Due to some injuries I now play a single trigger bass. Most of the time I don't miss the 2nd. But when I go for it I miss spectacularly!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:

Return to “Tangents”