Appropriate mouthpiece size for different types of bass trombones

LastTrombone50BGL

Appropriate mouthpiece size for different types of bass trombones

Post by LastTrombone50BGL »

Good evening everyone!

I have recently got my hands on a Bach 1G and I have unlocked new heights in my playing (I was using a 1 1/4g before). The horn I am using is a trusty Bach 50BGL. I have an extended low register and my high range is still nice, while being able to connect bigger parts of my register with one embouchure which is the ideal way of playing. I also found this to be true when I played my friend's bass trombone (Shires Trubore..??) going from a 1 1/2g to a 1 1/4g and it felt like the mouthpiece was more appropriate for the horn.

With that being said, I started to realize that there is maybe an appropriate size mouthpiece for each instrument and I was wondering what would be the most ideal or close to perfect mouthpiece size for each instrument?

Are there any mouthpieces you find to be good on every single trombone? What would be the appropriate size mouthpieces for a 50BL, or a Yamaha 613, or an Olds Superstar? Why are some horns mouthpiece picky, while others are not?

I would love to hear all of your answers!

Best,

Jaden
sirisobhakya

Re: Appropriate mouthpiece size for different types of bass trombones

Post by sirisobhakya »

In my opinion, some horns like bigger mouthpiece while some like smaller mouthpiece. However, forvme I prefer fixing the mouthpiece to the one(s) I use most, and adjust myself to the horn or just accept how the horn is. Adjusting to a mouthpiece is harder than to a horn, for me at least.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup. Any bass with any mouthpiece works to some degree, but dialing thins in can make a huge difference.

On "artist" horns, they will really be their best with something close to what the artist uses. You can play a 2G on a Bollinger Shires, but if you can used a big piece it'll just work better.

Older Conns were designed with smaller pieces in mind, so they typically don't want something big.

I go down the rabbit hole with every bass I get! My B&S doesn't work with my Markey 87 whatsoever, so I managed to find a German piece it really hives with, for instance.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

It seems, at fist glance, obvious that some trombones would be best played combined with certain mouthpieces, but the more I see of players and horns - I'm just not as certain about that anymore.

I know a bass trombonist who can make any horn work with his Schilke mouthpiece - I know it's a Schilke, but nothing more than that. He sounds marvellous on any bass and he's said to me he plays every bass with the same mouthpiece - his own horn or other's. I honestly can't tell what he does, but he sure sounds good on any bass I've heard him play.

I play all my small bore horns - and have for long, like twenty five years or more - on the equivalent of a 6 1/2 AL, and I've never encountered any obstructions from my horns that I can relate to the combination of horn and mouthpiece. I even played alto on my 6 1/2 for many years, before I switched to a 11C, without any noticeable issues with the horn per se. The change to the 11C mpc, was more of an experiment that felt better to me, rather than producing a difference in the over all characteristics of my alto.

I, however, look at this strictly subjective: If anything feels better to me, I automatically assume that it benefits my playing.
Last edited by Digidog on Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Different horns do prefer different mouthpieces, but users also have preferences. Not all players will use the same piece on the same horn. I found something kind of in the middle that works for me (1.25 size) and then keep smaller and larger pieces that I can tolerate in case I need to adjust. My goto is the DE XBk8, but I might sometimes pull out a Ferguson L for a little more bite, or a Ferguson V (small 1.5) for taking a big tenor into the small bass range. These are all 1.25-1.5 sized mouthpieces, so I don't vary the size much. No matter what I put a 2G on, it becomes a good 3rd bone.
TomInME

Post by TomInME »

Interesting... I have the same bell section (50B3LOG) and tried three separate times to make the 1G work, but the high range was total sheeeet. My original slide had the Bach open leadpipe, which didn't work with the 1G at all, and my current Shires slide might have worked in time but the 1G was just so much effort I opted out.

1 1/4GM (stock model with the big .319 throat) was much better all-around, although now that I'm doing a bone quartet I felt like something bigger was needed - not quite dark enough and double-trigger notes weren't where I wanted them to be. If I was only doing bone quartet and/or choir, the 1G would be pretty good, but I've got plenty of other playing to do above the staff.
The Yeo replica is working (darker - maybe a tiny bit too dark, very nice double-trigger C/B, high range is back near normal) but doesn't feel matched to the horn despite that, even after switching to a bigger leadpipe. I'll be trying a DE L cup next, should do the trick.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

It's not just about the size, it's also about the overall inner volume, the shape and taper of the throat, the backbore shape and size, and so forth. Some horns seem to work with anything you throw at it, while others just don't seem to work well with some mouthpieces. Thankfully my trombones don't seem to care as much, though too small of a throat really does seem to hinder getting full dynamic range. I know some people have been able to get a 1 1/2G and destroy planets with it, but I'm not capable of that level of efficiency.

I can say that I have never played a Bach 1G or a Schilke 60, as they are 1) too big for me and 2) I hate the rim.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:31 am Different horns do prefer different mouthpieces, but users also have preferences. Not all players will use the same piece on the same horn.
So true: I don't use the same mouthpiece on different horns.

on my 3 bass bones used for different purposes I use 3 different mouthpieces, cause they respond best to each, and prefer diferent

- Big Band Conn 112H with hagmanns and GB 1 5/16
- Symphoniy, Brass band and Concert Band: Elkhard Holton 181 with bach 50 slide and Thayers GB 1 1/4 (sometimes Yeo)
- Chamber music small ensemble Kruspe Bass Bone with Meinl Schmidt valves and large/long leadpite: Schmidt mpc (German mpc brand matches German trombone best IMHO)

Why?? because each choice brings out the gold nuggets in each instrument, they do help support the characteristics of each trombone

Do I need to adjust embouchure wise ??? Almost not, since each mouthpiece/instrument combo is in good balance with respect to alignment of partials and response, it's a slightly different feel due to rim differences, but embouchure is essentially the same relaxed production.

Do they sound or respond differently ??? Yes, thats the purpose of having 3 different instruments.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Never been the type to adjust easily to mouthpieces so this fact keeps me from doubling. As long as the bore is.562 or larger, gotta use what I practice on.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque

Return to “Instruments”