Bach NY Model 10 soprano trombone

Finetales

Bach NY Model 10 soprano trombone

Post by Finetales »

Just saw this on local Craigslist. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/m ... 13276.html

In all the nerdy Bach trombone model threads on TTF and TC, I've never seen a mention of a Bach model 10 soprano trombone, but here we are. Anyone know anything about this? Is it legit? Very odd to post a potential unicorn on Craigslist at $4k with absolutely no details whatsoever, but...
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Re: Bach NY Model 10 soprano trombone

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Wow
Drew A.
Professional bum.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

I mean, all the details look exactly right.

Seller has various trumpets with photos taken in the same setting, so unless someone has lifted a whole batch of weirdly messy photos from elsewhere I'd be inclined to think the sale was legit.

Do it! (Maybe don't pay 4k, though...)
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

ithinknot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:21 am Do it! (Maybe don't pay 4k, though...)
At this point, I think $400 is closer to my Soprano Trombone Budget upper limit. :lol:
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I thought Model 10 was what you got when you combined two Model 16 uppers into one slide.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Fascinating!
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

Dunno about the "Model 10" part, but I do know the Bethlehem (PA) trombone choir has several silver plated Bach sopranos made for them by V.B. when he was in New York. They are careful to keep them well maintained, but otherwise continue to play them regularly.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Hmmm... I thought I saw this listed on Facebook this morning, and I thought it had Aidan's name on the listing, but I can't find it now.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

brassmedic wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 pm Hmmm... I thought I saw this listed on Facebook this morning, and I thought it had Aidan's name on the listing, but I can't find it now.
I did post it in the Bach fan club group
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Awesomely cool - assuming it's legit (which it seems to be).

But $4,000 is over the top; a $1000 I could have understood but not paid, $500 seems reasonable given how much use it has.

It seems hard to think of it as a collector's item, but someone here may know more than I.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I have one, mine doesn’t say model 10 and has a different slide tuning mechanism, but yeah, there are several out there and there is even a catalog entry for them… I don’t have it handy, but it is a legit model.

Can’t say how it really compares to anything, even if I played a lot of sopranos, I suck at it so why listen to my opinion?

Anyway, it’s fun. But more of a Bach collector thing than a useful instrument, I’d guess.

Cheers,
Andy
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Digidog wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:08 pm It seems hard to think of it as a collector's item, but someone here may know more than I.
It's definitely a collector's item, given how rare and unknown it is compared to most other soprano trombones or Bach trombone models. I'm sure the right Bach collector wouldn't hesitate to pay $4k for it. Plus as soprano trombones are pretty much entirely useless, a collector is the only one who would pay big bucks for one.

Since Kanstul closed, the Miraphone 63 is the only pro-quality soprano you can buy at will that I know of. Otherwise you have to find a used one that doesn't suck (which rules out most of them), or pony up ~$5k for a Thein. There isn't really an "I want a soprano that's not cheap junk and actually plays well, but I also don't want to pay real horn money because it's useless" option on the market, or at least there hasn't been ever since Thomann stopped selling the higher-grade Carol Brass one.

Return to “Instruments”