WoodWindDesign Tenor Stand Issue

MagnumH

WoodWindDesign Tenor Stand Issue

Post by MagnumH »

Hey guys! I use the otherwise-excellent WoodWindDesign trombone stand but there's one small recurring issue I'm noticing. The top disc - not the rubber o-rings, but the felt-lined disc the horn actually rests on - constantly shifts to the top of the stand when I take the horn off. It doesn't stick in place. It's easy enough to slide back down before setting my horn down again, but it's a constant niggle.

I tried moving a rubber o-ring to above it, but that then got in the way of the fit inside the bell, and didn't leave me with enough grip lower down so the stand collapsed during use.

The felt is also starting to wear and tear after about 15 months usage.

Anyone else experience something similar? Suggested fixes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
KWL

Re: WoodWindDesign Tenor Stand Issue

Post by KWL »

I’ve had a similar problem with my bass stand that has two felt rings. A sock over the tip of the stand solved the moving issue and absorbs moisture as a bonus. The sock does add one more thing to carry around in the case.

Ken
muschem

Post by muschem »

The disc on my tenor stand is very tight. It doesn't budge. The one on my bass stand moves more freely. For both of them, I use a Hamilton bone sock over the top, which seems to help with the felt wear. I put a black elastic hair tie over the bone sock, right above the disc. This keeps the bone sock from wanting to pull up off the top of the stand, and also keeps the disc from shifting. If you don't like the sock, you could probably just use the hair tie above the disc.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I would contact the guy who makes them and see if you can get a replacement.
I have one of those stands but I only used it a couple of times. I mostly use an Aida.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Similarly, I use a cloth over it which also protects the bell when it's in the case.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I put another O ring on top of the plastic piece to hold it in place. Works like a charm. I also drape a Seagrams Whiskey bag over the top to catch moisture on both my tenor and bass WWD stands. No issues at all.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

It would seem the upper disk is narrow enough to rise far enough into the nearly straight section of the bell that the slight taper then grabs it. Just like a leadpipe grabs a mouthpiece shank. I think I would try to increase the disk diameter with some more fabric. Maybe try the sock idea for proof of concept. Maybe two sock layers.

Return to “Accessories”