Trombone tech in SoCal

gregwaits

Trombone tech in SoCal

Post by gregwaits »

I have just sold a nice Elkhart era 6H to a guy in Riverside. He’s interested in possibly having the nickel outer slide tube sleeves removed and is looking for a trombone tech who is knowledgeable on this modification.

Anyone have names?
Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Trombone tech in SoCal

Post by Burgerbob »

Sandhagen is probably the closest, and the person I would choose.

https://theboneyard-ca.org/index.html
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

From Riverside? Definitely Sandhagen.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Not sure I see much advantage from removing the sleeves on a Conn 6H. Very slight slide weight reduction on a slide that (to me) is already pretty well balanced. The sleeved slides on my Elkhart 6H and Elkhart 48H are smooth and fast!

Perhaps John Sandhagen (who can surely do the job) can discuss the cost/benefit trade-off with (Thom?).
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I personally find the stock 6H slide to be pretty heavy- just about as heavy as it gets on small bores. I can totally understand it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:05 pm I personally find the stock 6H slide to be pretty heavy- just about as heavy as it gets on small bores. I can totally understand it.
Point made, Aidan. I guess I don't mind "heavy" slides. (Didn't know that I was that strong!) Much lighter, though, than my large-bore tenor and bass trombone slides.
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:01 pm Not sure I see much advantage from removing the sleeves on a Conn 6H. Very slight slide weight reduction on a slide that (to me) is already pretty well balanced. The sleeved slides on my Elkhart 6H and Elkhart 48H are smooth and fast!

Perhaps John Sandhagen (who can surely do the job) can discuss the cost/benefit trade-off with (Thom?).

I had this done with my ‘56 6H at the suggestion of Eric Swanson. I was afraid it would change my sound, but he assured me it wouldn’t. He was right.

For me it’s a great improvement.

That said I’m not a fan of real light horns.
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:33 pm Sandhagen is probably the closest, and the person I would choose.

https://theboneyard-ca.org/index.html
Thanks!

Return to “Modification & Repair”