Conn CL valve maintenance?

Blenky

Conn CL valve maintenance?

Post by Blenky »

Traded up my 88HT for an 88HTCL after a warranty issue, and am loving it!

As I’ve had nothing but standard 88’s for 20 years, I have no idea about maintaining the CL valve. Any specific guidance on lubricants and maintenance schedules from the experts out there?

Many thanks!
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
harrisonreed

Re: Conn CL valve maintenance?

Post by harrisonreed »

I would just use ultra pure light and light bearing oil on mine, with hetman ball joint on the linkages. Maybe twice a week.

If you take it apart to clean it, he bearing plate is huge, so reseating it is tricker than with the smaller but equally as thick normal sized 88H plates. Also, don't use a punch to unseat the plate, which can damage the core (not made out of usual materials). Instead, unscrew the main rotor spindle screw a few turns and hit the screw with a soft hammer.

Also, if and when you take it apart, watch out for the tiny plastic/nylon washers on the ball joints that are there as silencers. Don't lose those.

Finally, be prepared for the curved brace between the F tube and the main bell brace to fail. You can fix it by taping it or having it soldered properly. This was an issue on the otherwise spectacular Eastlake 88HCLs, maybe it was fixed for the Elkhart ones, but I doubt it.
Blenky

Post by Blenky »

Many thanks Harrison, I was hoping you might answer given your previous advocacy of the HCL 😀

I tend not to get involved where taking valves apart is required, I usually leave that to a yearly visit to my local tech.

Loving the openness and responsiveness of the HTCL though, it’s a world of difference from the standard 88HT.

Thanks and regards,

Peter.
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Maintenance of a CL valve is largely the same as any other rotor. Just be aware that the rotor body is made of anodized aluminum which should not be placed in any sort of acid when being cleaned. It should also not be lapped as the abrasives will wear though the anodized surface which will lead to significant corrosion of the valve.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture

Return to “Maintenance”