Getzen Threads vs Yamaha (Large bore)

Matt K
Verified

Getzen Threads vs Yamaha (Large bore)

Post by Matt K »

Anyone know how different the Yamaha large bore threads on the 5xx series (in this case the 548) differ from Getzen (or I guess conn) threads? I have one that seems awful close but I think the tenon is just like 1mm too tall for it to get connected.
hornbuilder

Re: Getzen Threads vs Yamaha (Large bore)

Post by hornbuilder »

Getzen and Conn are not the same threads. They are the same thread pitch, but they're different major diameter.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Remington

Post by Remington »

The removable leadpipe from an 882-OR works great in an Edwards tenor slide with no modifications. I have no experience with a 5xx series Yamaha.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ah shucks, I was reading this thread and must have misunderstood what they were saying:

posting.php?mode=reply&t=34133#preview

I was having trouble getting my Yamaha slide on my Getzen bell section, and it looked like the tenon might just be a little too wide, so I was going to see if the local techs could put it on a lathe and turn it down to the right size or something. But now that you mentioned it Matthew, I realized I had a Yamaha valve section w/ receiver intact still and the Getzen slide doesn't fit on it at all. Oh well back to the drawing board for that particular project!
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

You could put a Getzen tenon onto a Yamaha cork barrel but it would require either some crafty tool design or disassembly of the inner slide. The Yamaha cork barrel and tenon are one piece, as far as I remember, so the Yamaha part would have to come off and be machined down to fit the Getzen tenon, which would then be soldered on.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

And at that point probably cheaper to get a Getzen or Conn cork barrel and tenon! The 525/547 has been perfectly fine for the non existent classical gigs I get soooo :shuffle:
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Blabberbucket wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:54 pm The Yamaha cork barrel and tenon are one piece, as far as I remember, so the Yamaha part would have to come off and be machined down to fit the Getzen tenon, which would then be soldered on.
Some of them are, the current 6xx series are definitely one piece as you describe. Looks like the newer Xeno designs have the tenon as a separate part from the cork barrel. I've been staring at the schematics from which you order parts quite a bit lately.

Return to “Instruments”