Best Cleaner for Slide

TrombaLeese

Best Cleaner for Slide

Post by TrombaLeese »

Hi -

I'm new to playing trombone and purchased a brand new Xeno It was recommended by the store's tech :) where I bought to use liquid dish detergent in warm water. I've seen Yamaha Brass Soap advertised online and would appreciate feedback as to whether you all prefer one over the other or if it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Thanks. :)
Burgerbob

Re: Best Cleaner for Slide

Post by Burgerbob »

Dish soap is fine. Just keep the water warm at most (not hot) and it'll be fine.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Seconded on the normal dish soap. I'm not sure exactly what the Yamaha soap is designed to do that standard dish soap wouldn't deal with.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I use Simple Green, but otherwise would use (blue) Dove.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

What's the UK translation of dish soap, please? Is it just regular washing-up liquid, such as Fairy?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

A web search of "UK dish soap" will give you all the information you need.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

brumpone wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:11 am What's the UK translation of dish soap, please? Is it just regular washing-up liquid, such as Fairy?
yup
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

As a repair tech, I can tell you that cleaning your slide with lacquer thinner is the way to go. It's a great solvent and won't remove your lacquer. Put it on some cheese cloth, and work it in and out of the slide, keeping it good and tight in there, as to get all the dirt.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The juxtaposition of "lacquer thinner" and "won't remove your lacquer" is a bit jarring and incompatible with much empirical observation and warnings from a variety of sources. It may depend on what you mean by "lacquer" or what kind of "lacquer" you mean. I wouldn't use it around any of my instrument finishes. Of course, I'm not a repair tech.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Lacquer thinner will 100% strip the Lacquer right off most Bach trombones and other instruments made during the 20th century. I'm not sure when they stopped using Cellulose Lacquer, but it wasn't until relatively recently.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Absolutely do not use lacquer thinner or any flammable solvent for that matter inside your home or an enclosed room near any ignition source!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I won't take the risk, but one of the best techs I know carefully cleans and polishes the inside of outer slides with lacquer thinner. And successfully gets away with it. [Perhaps not on Bach slides? :idk: ]
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:41 pm ... one of the best techs I know carefully cleans and polishes the inside of outer slides with lacquer thinner. ]
Well, there's the key, and sign of a rational approach -- rather than "Don't worry, it can't harm your lacquer". Still, there are less toxic, less risky, and no less effective alternatives. So why use it? I mean, I have about half a gallon of MEK in my barn, but I almost never use it because there are almost always alternatives that are better practical choices. I also don't use hydrochloric acid to clean my rotary valves, though I might do that as a matter of course if I were in the business of cleaning rotary valves as part of doing chem cleans on customers' instruments -- because under those circumstances there would be additional justifications for doing that.

Edit: corrected reference to hydrochloric acid. :roll:
Last edited by ghmerrill on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

>hydraulic acid

Which one is that? :amazed: :???: :horror: :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:04 pm >hydraulic acid

Which one is that? :amazed: :???: :horror: :tongue:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mea culpa ... (I won't go with the usual excuse here that it was an auto-correcting spell checker that did it.)

Age - related brain malfunction. I spent so much time this past year rebuilding the hydraulic system on my 1974 tractor that that's still embedded in my brain.

I of course meant "hydrochloric" (or "muriatic" for a somewhat different crowd). :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Just as there are "lacquers", and there are lacquers, there are also "lacquer thinners" and lacquer thinners. They aren't all the same!! I use Cleanstrip Green lacquer thinners to clean the inside of slide tubes after polishing the new tubes. It very effectively removes grease from brass, and flashes off very quickly, with zero residue, but that product is much "milder" than the lacquer thinner I use to actually thin my lacquer made by Niklas! The Niklas baked on epoxy lacquer is completely impervious to the Cleanstrip product. Shires also use the Cleanstrip Green in their slide cleaning routine with all new slides, FWIW.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Yes. One must be wary of giving vague or easily misinterpreted instructions to the inexperienced. :)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

Dish soap= washing up liquid.
Use a 'snake' brush, quite cheap and easily available.
A slide o mix cleaning rod with towelling sheath is very useful. Not so cheap, can be obtained on line eg Dawkes, blue for wide bore, red for medium/ small.
Gameboy64

Post by Gameboy64 »

For a clean slide, I'd say go for a lukewarm bath with some dish soap, and snake out the insides of the slides, just like the others have said.

However, for a FAST slide, you'll wanna get a cleaning rod with either a cleaning sheath or cheese cloth and use that. I've been doing this for a couple years now and it's never failed me. Burgerbob has a great video tutorial on YouTube about how to do it properly, so I'd check that out.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'm a little wary of "snakes" and their stiff brushes and the potential for damage (or at least some mild scratching) of tubing inner surfaces. I prefer to use the HWP Brass-Saver (soft pull-through brush with a long plastic lead ribbon – will pass through the entire outer slide, including the end crook!). I use the "Tuba" size for large-bore tenor and bass trombones. No chance whatsoever of damage - and you know the slide crook is open and free. I even pull my Brass-Saver though my trombone's bell section (including F-attachment valve).

The Brass-Saver is an integral part of my regular post-playing trombone hygiene protocol. Because I keep them clean, it's only VERY seldom that my trombones need baths.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Benefect Atomic Degreaser works great, and it is safe to use. The downside is that it is sold by the gallon, and costs about $40. A lifetime+ supply for a trombonist, especially since it can be diluted with water and still be effective. However, most will probably find other uses for it.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mamaposaune wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:34 am Benefect Atomic Degreaser works great, and it is safe to use. The downside is that it is sold by the gallon, and costs about $40. A lifetime+ supply for a trombonist, especially since it can be diluted with water and still be effective. However, most will probably find other uses for it.
What's the benefit of a "degreaser" on a trombone slide? :idk:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

So you don't oil your valve(s) or oil/grease your slide? Besides, it's an ATOMIC degreaser!!

Also, all that grease from the ribs you're eating while practicing has to go somewhere.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

IMHO, there's NO reason for the average Trombonist to use anything stronger than regular dish soap!!!

The costs involved and associated risks are not worth the possibility of f.. errr mucking up your slide!

A cleaning rod with cheesecloth, flexible snake for the crook and inner tubes are plenty sufficient for typical maintenance. Even just plain water from the hose with the pressure nozzle works wonders!

Anything more than that warrants a trip to a Tech!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
legendary27

Post by legendary27 »

+1 for warm water and a little washing up liquid, well diluted.

Return to “Accessories”