Y-Fort tenor info

bassbone1993

Y-Fort tenor info

Post by bassbone1993 »

Hey all!

I know they're recent in the larger community, but has anybody seen if the Y-fort lead pipe threads allow for non lead pipes (Edwards, Shires, etc.)?

Also, does anybody have any photos of the inside of the screw bell case?
Burgerbob

Re: Y-Fort tenor info

Post by Burgerbob »

bassbone1993 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:40 pm Hey all!

I know they're recent in the larger community, but has anybody seen if the Y-fort lead pipe threads allow for non lead pipes (Edwards, Shires, etc.)?

Nope! Nothing else fits.

And no pictures, but it's a really nice case. Nearly MB quality.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:07 pm
bassbone1993 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:40 pm Hey all!

Nope! Nothing else fits.

And no pictures, but it's a really nice case. Nearly MB quality.
Good to know! I picked up their medium bore. Plays great, just a bit more resistance than I'd prefer as I main on bass bone. Thinking about pulling the leadpipe, but I was curious about their large bores. Thanks!
Last edited by bassbone1993 on Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

In about a week, I can take some pictures of the inside of my Y-Fort screw bell case for you. It's really nice, just like the horn that comes in it.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/US3F5dpU4vd89DFm8

Here you go.

As said. These cases are very nicely made. I've used one for the last months daily and it still looks like new. As does the trombone...
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

If there is demand, leadpipe collars that match the threads of these instruments could fairly easily be machined and sold. This would allow the collars to be installed on other manufacturers' pipes for use with the Y-Fort slides.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

SwissTbone wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:02 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/US3F5dpU4vd89DFm8

Here you go.

As said. These cases are very nicely made. I've used one for the last months daily and it still looks like new. As does the trombone...
Is that the gold bell or the yellow bell? If it's the yellow, our horns are twins!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Finetales wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:18 am
SwissTbone wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:02 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/US3F5dpU4vd89DFm8

Here you go.

Is that the gold bell or the yellow bell? If it's the yellow, our horns are twins!
The one pictured is the gold brass bell. But my daily driver is the yellow brass.

I already sold quite a few yellow brass bells and some gold brass bells. People are a little skeptical at the beginning, but when trying them, feedback is always excellent.

Interestingly most people prefer the screw bell version even without really "needing" a screw bell.

How do you like the valve? Quite a unique design.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

The valve is interesting. I might prefer a more typical valve that's easier to set up and maintain, but once this one is set up at just the right tension it's great. I used the Y-Fort to play principal trombone on a 3 day orchestra gig recently and it was fabulous.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

(and it was great to play 2nd with)
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Finetales wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:11 pm The valve is interesting. I might prefer a more typical valve that's easier to set up and maintain, but once this one is set up at just the right tension it's great. I used the Y-Fort to play principal trombone on a 3 day orchestra gig recently and it was fabulous.
On the instruments I received, the valve was already perfectly set up from the factory. No problems maintaining them, some drops of oil and they are good to go.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I believe it! Mine was a NAMM demo horn, so it had already been messed with (and dropped) prior to my purchasing it.

Return to “Instruments”