Bach 6.75/6.5 Alternative with soft rim?

lionluteral

Bach 6.75/6.5 Alternative with soft rim?

Post by lionluteral »

I currently play on a Bach 7C on my small bore for jazz lead and i recently realized that i need to go a little bigger, but most importantly i need to change the rim shape, the 7C is giving some trouble with articulations in all registers, also i need more space. (Definitely not as large as Bach 5)
I ve set my eye on the next obvious step the 6.75C but i after some research i found out that the rim shape and cup is almost identical to the 7C (if not the same).
I know there is a 11C but some say its narrower than the 7C and others that has a Larger cup?
Any recommendations or suggestions for my purposes?
(Also if it has a more open thorat i think it would help me)

Thanks
Reedman1

Re: Bach 6.75/6.5 Alternative with soft rim?

Post by Reedman1 »

I find Yamaha rims pretty comfortable (except for the Nils Landgren). Also Marcinkiewicz.
Bach 11 is smaller than 7. A 6.75 C is a bit bigger at 25.00 mm (nominally). Doug Elliott has a 99 rim that’s 25.15, like a Conn 3 but probably more comfortable. Marcinkiewicz 10 or 10-S is about 25.367 mm; so is the Schilke Alex Iles. A 6.5 rim is 25.4 mm. Hopefully you’ll find something you like in that range. And of course there are aftermarket services to modify your mouthpiece. Check out the rim contour, as well. Marcinkiewicz is a little rounder than Bach; Dennis Wick is very flat. You’ll have to try some and see what works best for you.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Romero 474 or standard 475 in my line would work well.

https://www.librassco.com/tenor-trombone

I actually have one ready to ship.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

Keep your eye out for a Yamaha 48.

There are LOADS of them out there, and it might just be what you’re looking for. It’s kind of in between 6 3/4 and 6 1/2 with a nice rim. Great design.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Specs can be really misleading at times, as how the rim contour interacts with our chops can drastically change the feeling of bigger or smaller. Also, most of these measurements are done on curves and there’s various interpretations of where to measure.

In saying that, some older Bach 11c have bigger diameter rims and I’ve found comfier rims than a lot of 7c. Some old 7c are also bigger and comfier. The Reeves 11c has a pretty wide rim diameter and a nice comfy contour with no sharp high points. The Marcinkiewicz 11c is also on the bigger side and has a softer, more rounded rim. It might be best to find a few likely suggestions and try them out to see what works for you.
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

DaveAshley wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 pm Keep your eye out for a Yamaha 48.

There are LOADS of them out there, and it might just be what you’re looking for. It’s kind of in between 6 3/4 and 6 1/2 with a nice rim. Great design.
To add to this, even if you get a new one, they're relatively cheap at around $50.
dcslideman

Post by dcslideman »

The Yamaha 48 rim specs are in fact between the Bach 6 3/4 and Bach 6 1/2 sizes as others suggested(if made to spec). And I think the cup is a little deeper than a Bach 7C. And I agree with the posts that the rim is comfortable. The one other thing to consider is the throat. The 48 has a big throat that matches the 6 1/2 AL. (approx 6.65mm) I have found the two to play nearly identically and for me work better for .525 bore. Your 7C and the 6 3/4 have a throat under 6mm (if to spec). But as everybody on here says, your best match is a personal thing. If you want to try a 48, I can get you one for not a lot of money.

Return to “Mouthpieces”