Leadpipe Replacement King Tempo

atopper333

Leadpipe Replacement King Tempo

Post by atopper333 »

Another topic sparked this question for me. I have an old King Tempo with the nickel (Plated?) Bell. When looking down the inners, it’s mostly in great shape, but the leadpipe looks to be rather pitted.

I posted this in an effort to not hijack another post regarding the brassark 2B pipe…

Would that particular part be compatible with the original Tempo slide? If I remember correctly, the Tempo and 2B slides are interchangeable, but I don’t know if the leadpipe for the original Tempo would be interchangeable or accept a 2b style leadpipe, which would be nice as the 2B seems much more supported for obvious reasons.
Blabberbucket

Re: Leadpipe Replacement King Tempo

Post by Blabberbucket »

The slide tenon may be the same, but the tubes have different bore sizes, the 2B being about .020" smaller than the Tempo bore on the mouthpiece side. A 2B pipe would likely be usable, just may require some adjustment to fit the larger bore of the Tempo.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The tempo is 500 bore right? The 2B+ pipe would fit in that case. Or the Brassark 32H. Fwiw I also suspect a YSL354 pipe might work well, that’s a great design pipe and the 354 has some resemblance to the 354 on paper at least.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

It's a 1960's Tempo, right? Pretty sure that'd be a 1305; .491" bore. Maybe a Jiggs 2B leadpipe?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If it’s 491 then Brad should be able to make one - someone in the thread you were thinking of hijackikg reported it was a massive improvement on a Jiggs pipe! You can also have a tech expand a 485 pipe usually. A shires #2 is also a safe bet
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Should be the 1305. I really appreciate the help on this one, I’ll definitely be looking into that Jiggs pipe!

Return to “Instruments”