Edwards Slide for my Bach 50..

EZSlider

Edwards Slide for my Bach 50..

Post by EZSlider »

Hey guys.. Had been planning to have some mods done to my 50 slide, but now leaning towards getting an Edwards bass slide instead.. I figure money better spent on a second slide that is already setup for removable pipes, and prob a better build anyway.
Anything I should be aware of going in? Thanks a bunch in advance.. And if anyone has a slide for sale, Im all ears.
EZ
elmsandr

Re: Edwards Slide for my Bach 50..

Post by elmsandr »

Edwards slides are shorter than Bach slides, but this is usually helpful for Bachs pitch wise.

Cheers,
Andy
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thanks for that Andy.. yeah I would chalk that up as a feature lol. I was unaware though so again thanks
EZ
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Just be aware that the sound will change using an Edwards slide. As someone who played Bach for years and, at times with an Edwards slide, the sound became too hard and cold for my tastes. Your taste my vary.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:31 am Just be aware that the sound will change using an Edwards slide. As someone who played Bach for years and, at times with an Edwards slide, the sound became too hard and cold for my tastes. Your taste my vary.
I’ve always felt that way about Edwards in general, whenever I’ve tried them myself at least (there are many players much better than I am who sound great on Edwards!)

My bass is a Bach 50A3 bell with an Edwards slide. I was just looking for the best used horn I could afford at the time, as I knew I would have to get accustomed to any good bass over time anyway—plus, it did occur to me that the Edwards slide was shorter and would help bring the Bach up to pitch.

Once I got a little proficiency with it, I did notice that it seemed a little vanilla… but, I was able to liven it up quite a bit with a sterling silver leadpipe (Brad Close…can’t remember if it’s the MV or NY 50 pipe that he makes…), and taking the bumper off the end of slide actually made a noticeable difference as well. I’m pretty happy with the way it plays now.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thanks for both pieces of information there guys. For sure aware the sound will change. Looking to experiment a bit so that's not a problem, especially since it'll be much easier to play around with lead pipes now. And I guess I should have stated initially this is going on my 50a3 with screwbell and cut to a G valve
EZ
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

So, the threads won’t line up without a change from a tech, but the couple I’ve played really have me wanting to get a Shires slide or two to go with my Bachs. I loved a couple of Shires gold brass slides I tried on a 42 and a 50. The first opened my eyes to what could be(42), the second confirmed that there may be something there I really dig.

For many years, I played my Bach with an Edwards BDBN slide; I need the oversleeves on edwards slides and I loved the great big feel of this. Just a great pairing with Thayers and a tight-ish leadpipe. But it is just too big for most my playing environments. I’m not Vernon and I’m not playing with 100 piece orchestra… wrong tool for the job. I still have this slide and like it for what it is, but there is no good reason for me to play it in public.

That said, these days I’m still fairly happy on my standard Bach slides, though they are quite vintage. I play these, a butler slide*, or an awesome M&W slide most the time. The M&W rarely leaves the house, though that is not a measure of how good the slide is, as it is the best of the bunch, but it was built for a different horn and that project is sadly on a bit of a hiatus due to my lack of follow-up.

Cheers,
Andy

*Butler slide is kinda cool, but sound isn’t great… it is fine. Just very usable as I don’t have to care about any collisions or issues at community events. Indestructability has a value.

Return to “Instruments”