Bach 42 sliide compatibility

rmb796

Bach 42 sliide compatibility

Post by rmb796 »

Hi
Are there any slides that will fit on a Bach 42 besides a Bach slide?
I am especially wondering about an Edwards or Shires slide.

Thanks
Chronos91

Re: Bach 42 sliide compatibility

Post by Chronos91 »

Edwards fits. I've heard Shires may need a tenon swap.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Edwards is the same connector, shorter slide though so your tuning slide will be out farther and things will line up a bit differently. I use one myself.

Shires will jam on and partially thread... don't do it, though. Not a hard swap to just put an Edwards tenon on. I've done this as well and just sold a horn set up just this way.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

How does the length of the Shires compare with the Bach?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

I can answer these questions.

Edwards back before they made their own slides (1989-90) said to use a Bach slide of your choosing with yout Edwards bell sections.

Consequently Edwards inner handslide parts were modeled but not copied after Bach parts. The cork barrels, slide tenon etc... are all the same length and close ODs as Bachs. Even the handslide cross bracing is in the same position. However Early Eddie slides were all brass with no oversleeves, the common oversleeve and nickel bottom crook option came out around 1994 (I ordered A B454 in 1993, I could only get an all yellow slide without oversleeves).

What's fun about Shires? They are also modeled after Bach slides, even the cork barrels can be soldered on and the crossbrace assemblies on the inner handslides go right over Bach tubes... however, The slide nut and male tenons are ONE THREAD PER.INCH different than Bach and subsequently Edwards. This on worn or out of tolerance parts makes no difference but on tight parts the thread interference will not allow a Bach bell section to mate with a Shires slide or vice versa.

Bach since the mid 90s has dropped the 3 piece male slide taper/shank, crossbrace assembly and cork.barrel and has gone to a 2 piece design which is not easily convertable to a Shires tenor, however the vast majority of conversions are shires male tenons to Bach/edwards tenons and this is an easy job for a tech. Parts are money, expect to pay upwards of 75 bucks for a tenon shipped (maybe more I have ordered one in a while).

So, are the male taper/shank.assemblies the same length? Yes, between all three. ALSO NOTE GETZEN bass parts ARE NOT THE SAME, on Edwards.

Benn
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

greenbean wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:36 am How does the length of the Shires compare with the Bach?...
Shorter than Bach, basically halfway between Edwards and Bach.

Shires also makes L length slides, which are Bach length.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”