Weird high note stuff

Spin your yarns here.
PiccoloTrombonist1

Weird high note stuff

Post by PiccoloTrombonist1 »

I should preface this by saying that my highest note (that makes a normal sound) is C5. However, I can kind of “play” up to a Bb5, heavy emphasis on the kind of. The problem is that it just sounds weird, and lots of the time, my air will get caught in my cheeks, causing them to puff out (I know that this is bad, and as soon as I feel it coming I stop playing the note. I also generally don’t play these notes unless I’m exploring my upper range). Why is this? (Recording shows me playing Ab5 then Bb5)

I will say that when I hold my cheeks shut with my hand, I do end up playing something that sounds more like a note, just with double buzz.
Posaunus

Re: Weird high note stuff

Post by Posaunus »

Perhaps that Skype lesson with Doug Elliott could address this issue (and others). :idk:
Olofson

Post by Olofson »

Any trombone teacher will do.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Your low range will improve your high range
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Nolankberk wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:06 am Your low range will improve your high range
How? What precise exercises/approach can be offered that will help this person and others reading this thread?
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:16 am
Nolankberk wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:06 am Your low range will improve your high range
How? What precise exercises/approach can be offered that will help this person and others reading this thread?
Sorry, phrased that wrong. He needs to work on the mid low register before he jumps to the high. He has previous posts here talking about struggles with making sound in the register below. Long tones in the mid register can never hurt.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

:good:
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

You might be closing down so hard you're cutting off the tonal vibrations.
Last edited by tbdana on Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

You're pinching your lips together to get a small aperture but it's not working. (distorts the shape) I think that tension might be the same reason you have the tone problem.

You know, the one Doug can probably fix in 15 minutes. And that just might fix your high range problem too.

Return to “Tangents”