Small bore versus large bore

Trhtrbn

Small bore versus large bore

Post by Trhtrbn »

I have a Yamaha YSL-3530R that is dual bore,(.500/.525), from Japan. When I play from low Bb, (Not pedal), down to low E my sound is stuffy. When I played the YSL-448G, I did not seem to have this problem. I used to be a tuba player so I am wondering if I need a large bore tenor or is it a mouthpiece issue or is it operator error and I just need to work on it?
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
hyperbolica

Re: Small bore versus large bore

Post by hyperbolica »

Small bore shouldn't sound that way. There may be a leak in the instrument somewhere. Fill it with water to see where it leaks.
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:28 am Small bore shouldn't sound that way. There may be a leak in the instrument somewhere. Fill it with water to see where it leaks.
Thanks
Thom H
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

Trhtrbn wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 am
hyperbolica wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:28 am Small bore shouldn't sound that way. There may be a leak in the instrument somewhere. Fill it with water to see where it leaks.
Thanks
Btw, I had the horn overhauled and cleaned by a trusted local professional. Let’s say it is not a leak, could it be something else?
Thom H
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Did the problem start after the cleaning? If yes, it could just be a bad spit valve cork placement. If no, you might have a crack. In either case, filling it with water might reveal the problem. Could be a bad solder joint, your leadpipe could be corroded or broken, mouthpiece shank out of round, could be a big dent somewhere important, might have some build up somewhere, although you say it has been cleaned.

Is this your horn: viewtopic.php?t=32132 Did the tech take out some of those big crinkles in the tuning slide? Whatever caused those dents might have also bent/broke something else. The water test is a great place to start finding things you can't see. Like maybe a pin hole in the tuning slide where the tech straightened out those dents....
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Get someone else to play the horn and see if they experience the same problem.
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

JohnL wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:28 pm Get someone else to play the horn and see if they experience the same problem.
Good idea
Thom H
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:07 pm Did the problem start after the cleaning? If yes, it could just be a bad spit valve cork placement. If no, you might have a crack. In either case, filling it with water might reveal the problem. Could be a bad solder joint, your leadpipe could be corroded or broken, mouthpiece shank out of round, could be a big dent somewhere important, might have some build up somewhere, although you say it has been cleaned.

Is this your horn: viewtopic.php?t=32132 Did the tech take out some of those big crinkles in the tuning slide? Whatever caused those dents might have also bent/broke something else. The water test is a great place to start finding things you can't see. Like maybe a pin hole in the tuning slide where the tech straightened out those dents....
All dents removed, thorough overhaul, inspection, and cleaning, water key spring and cork replaced and checked out. I will have a friend who has played for many years test it. Thanks.
Thom H

Return to “Instruments”