Bass Mouthpiece Recommendation

Basstromphonium

Bass Mouthpiece Recommendation

Post by Basstromphonium »

Bach 1g player looking for something with a rounder sound. I find the Bach 1g has a very comfortable rim size and allows me to produce a nice orchestral sound but sometimes gets a little too edgy. Articulations with are perfect with it, upper register can sometimes be a challenge for my use case.
Slideorama

Re: Bass Mouthpiece Recommendation

Post by Slideorama »

I would try the newer Artisan style or Megatone versions of the 1G from Bach. Both versions would hold the sound together better at volume while also enhancing the other aspects you’re already accustomed to from the 1G.
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
amoss1s

Post by amoss1s »

The Griego Gerry Pagano mouthpiece is amazing and comes in a larger size.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Work with Doug Elliott to experiment with his bowls, rims, and shanks to get what you want -- instead of a random approach of trying/buying/returning a series of different mouthpieces that will be much more difficult to compare with one another and will be more complicated to test side by side over the time you might require? With Doug's trial and return policy, you can do a lot of very inexpensive testing -- and if none of it works out, all you've spent is some minor shipping charges for a lot of knowledge and experience. But I'm pretty sure you can find a DE piece that is what you're looking for. Just a thought.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I play Doug Elliott mouthpieces. Great stuff, and Doug is the best to work with.

For a less expensive option, try the Yamaha Doug Yeo mouthpiece. The Replica version is not expensive, and it will almost certainly do exactly what you're looking for.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Replica about $70
Signature about $220
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I have a gold rim yeo fs

Return to “Mouthpieces”