Band Director's Marching Band

timothy42b

Band Director's Marching Band

Post by timothy42b »

I had the Macy's parade on in the background yesterday, and I caught the Band Directors part.

There must have been 400 of them. I didn't know this existed, so I googled, and they all must have come up with $3-4,000 to do that gig. But I digress.

They played pretty well, but everything was memorized, no flip folders. These are grownups - how is that even possible? It's fairly easy for young people to memorize; I never had any trouble at all. In college we did a complete new show every week during football season. But that's something that fades with age, and it's impressive to see it done by 400 older folk.
henrysa

Re: Band Director's Marching Band

Post by henrysa »

Great idea, they looked and sounded great. However they should have been comped their costs for the entire gig including transportation.
JohnL

Re: Band Director's Marching Band

Post by JohnL »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:38 amthey all must have come up with $3-4,000 to do that gig.
I like the stuff on the website about getting your school or the band boosters to help foot the bill.

The conductor of one of the community bands I play in was there; she's one of the few (maybe the only) participant who isn't a school band director (either active or retired). She did the Rose Parade with them last year. What with air transportation to New York, etc., etc., it's not a cheap trip.

I think forum member UTPride1992 either did it this year or knows someone who did, thus this thread from a few days ago:
viewtopic.php?t=33513

Most participants are expected to furnish their own instruments. Uniformity is a big deal, so they want the all the brass to be silver plated, which can mean having to buy or borrow an instrument. The lady I know who did it had to buy a marching mellophone.

Return to “Performance”