Quick mute changes

How and what to teach and learn.
JeffBone44

Quick mute changes

Post by JeffBone44 »

I frequently play musical theater productions. They're all for community theater. Some of the mute changes are next to impossible. Since it's community theater nobody seems to care what kind of mute I use, or if I use one at all in certain situations. If a cup mute is called for and I have only one measure to get it in, I'll usually just play into the stand instead. So it's a matter of convenience to me. If I have plenty of time I'll use it, if not I won't.

I just did a run of the Drowsy Chaperone. In the song Cold Feets the duet with the soprano saxophone calls for straight mute, and there is only one measure to put it in. I was driving myself crazy at first trying to put in the mute, but when I listened to the recording the trombone was open horn anyway.

In community theater I have a lot of free will and can make my own decisions about whether to use a mute or not. What are the expectations of Broadway and other professional theaters?
bubba7753

Re: Quick mute changes

Post by bubba7753 »

When you take the mute out, put it behind your knee until you have time to put it on the floor.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I can’t speak to Broadway, but I’ve played several shows with very fast mute changes. For one piece, I remember I played the tune before the mute change by balancing the weight of the horn on the top of my left wrist while my left hand held the mute pointing downwards. In one bar, I would hold the horn with my right hand by the slide braces, turn my left hand over, insert the mute, and resume playing. I believe I held the mute in for the passage rather than pressing it in place. I believe Doug Elliott mentioned he rarely presses mutes in place, but holds them in instead.

Someone posted a while ago about a fast mute change involving harmon. They found an old percussion stand, modified it to hold the mute, and inserted the mute onto the stand. It would stay there until they needed the mute. They would then turn (I believe to their left), point the bell onto the mute and play the passage, then remove the horn and carry on.

Sometimes you have to be creative.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

bubba7753 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:48 am When you take the mute out, put it behind your knee until you have time to put it on the floor.
Last show we had a rug underneath us, so I would simply drop the mute on the floor if I needed to. I have used the knee trick before. And lots of times I will hold the mute in with my left hand rather than pressing it into the bell, although I don't play as well that way. I guess I will have to practice that.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”