Ferguson V

dukesboneman

Ferguson V

Post by dukesboneman »

Awhile ago I posted on the Facebook version of the forum I was looking for a Bass Trombone Mouthpiece, Schilke 58ish size with a slightly wider rim.
I had a lot of responses of "What I use" and everything was way bigger than I asked about
.A couple people posted about the Ferguson V Model.
I was intrigued, Talked to the Horn Guys about it and ultimately bought one
I LOVE it.
I have a long run of a musical coming up where I double Tenor/Bass
The Ferguson is sooooo much easier to switch back and forth on
Really Comfy rim and great bottom end.
WGWTR180

Re: Ferguson V

Post by WGWTR180 »

That can be a very good mouthpiece for some. I liked the rim but, in the end, it was just too V shaped for me. Any chance you're doing Wicked???
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I have one, and I definitely like it. I also have ALL the other current James New made Ferguson Minick Bass replica mouthpieces, the V, L, JR, and LS, and I find them all to be very comfortable pieces that are fun to play, though honestly the LS is just way too big for me.

I usually use my Ferguson pieces with my YBL-612RII, as they seem to work more with the sound concept of that horn. I do still have my Trusty Faxx 1 1/2G for emergencies, but otherwise I'm always using the Minick replica pieces on that horn.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:46 pm I have one, and I definitely like it. I also have ALL the other current James New made Ferguson Minick Bass replica mouthpieces, the V, L, JR, and LS, and I find them all to be very comfortable pieces that are fun to play, though honestly the LS is just way too big for me.

I usually use my Ferguson pieces with my YBL-612RII, as they seem to work more with the sound concept of that horn. I do still have my Trusty Faxx 1 1/2G for emergencies, but otherwise I'm always using the Minick replica pieces on that horn.
How does the V compared to the Faxx? BIgger? more open?
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`m playing a re-orchestration of Crazy for You
Tenor/Bass
The Ferguson V is perfect for me on my Bach 50B3
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

dukesboneman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:35 pm I`m playing a re-orchestration of Crazy for You
Tenor/Bass
The Ferguson V is perfect for me on my Bach 50B3
Cool. Fun show. I played the original Broadway National Tour orchestration. You'll have a good, yet busy, time!!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Aznguyy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:15 pmHow does the V compared to the Faxx? BIgger? more open?
The V is definitely heavier, and the rim is wider and more cushion like, which I think is good but others may not. It definitely plays a bit more open, and lets me get more "bite" than the Faxx, which has the standard .276" throat of the smaller Bach pieces. I have not gotten around to measuring the throat of the V but I suspect it is a bit larger than the Faxx.

When I play on the V with my 612 it just feels like I am getting a more solid projection and improved low range. I don't have to work as hard to get notes on the first line and below to bark.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, the Ferguson V is my favorite niche mouthpiece outside of the DE world. Especially for that area that bridges tenor and bass. Big sound, but its not woofy. Can play tenor parts as well. I guess I tend to ignore the rim somehow. To be honest, I don't think I've even noticed that it's a wider rim. I measured the V throat with gauge pins, and it's 0.289" (largest that will go through).

My impression of the Faxx (assuming 1 1/2G size) is that it plays like a good VB 1 1/2G should. The one I played was in fact better than most VB 1 1/2Gs. The Ferguson V feels somewhat smaller than any 1 1/2G, and definitely more bite in the sound. Horn Guys site describes it as "more efficient", which I interpret as more sound per air or effort. Don't read into that that there is more resistance or a smaller throat/backbore. I just think the more funnel type shape tends towards a bit more bark than dark in the sound.

I've also got the Ferguson L, which is a similar idea, but built on a 1 1/4 size. It's also a nice mouthpiece with an even heavier blank. I usually use my DE setup (112K8), but from time to time I switch over to the L. It also has slightly more bark, but it's not as much a departure as the V is.

Return to “Mouthpieces”