How to Flutter Tongue

How and what to teach and learn.
Wilktone

How to Flutter Tongue

Post by Wilktone »

To be honest, I've never had any trouble flutter tonguing or rolling my "R's," so I've always been at a loss for helping players learn how to do it. I recently came across this video on YouTube from a Spanish language channel and found it interesting and potentially useful.

One of the big takeaways I got from this video is the discussion on how it's harder to roll your "R's" when you start with a harder consonant. Perhaps one of the reasons many people have difficulties learning to flutter tongue is that they are starting with too hard an attack. Maybe softening the attack or even practicing with a breath attack might help getting the tongue in the right position at the right time.

I also suspect that the "ara" exercise that is taught might also be helpful. I've found it helpful to practice or teach certain techniques away from the horn before applying them to the instrument. This might be similar.

If you can't already flutter tongue and try this out, please let us know how it goes for you.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Burgerbob

Re: How to Flutter Tongue

Post by Burgerbob »

I also can't really roll my Rs. This is the mechanic that I use to fluttertongue (and seems like how most people do it as well).

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

That’s pretty much the exact same thing I do to roll my R’s. The tongue is in the same position and flaps around the same. The only difference to me seems to be the starting syllable. “N” seems to be a nice, soft staring syllable, so that sounds like good advice for players who have trouble fluttering with a “T” attack.
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I figured out only a couple of years ago how to flutter tongue while playing. I still cannot do it while speaking.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Teaching & Learning”