Best mouthpiece for air resistance

PiccoloTrombonist1

Best mouthpiece for air resistance

Post by PiccoloTrombonist1 »

I was wondering what the best mouthpiece shape would be if i wanted a lot of resistance whenever i blew into my trombone? I commonly struggle with shoving my face into my trombone, and also got into 3d modeling, so i could make a mouthpiece of any shape essentially for free
hyperbolica

Re: Best mouthpiece for air resistance

Post by hyperbolica »

How did you answer on that "I am not a bot" question? Maybe your lips are too stiff? I hear titanium over 2400 degrees softens up enough to vibrate in triassic waves. Piccolo trombones usually have a switch which can be found under the defibrillator that enables new colors you can only imagine. Take us to your leader. Maybe you just have to practice harder or get a lesson with Gore Vidal. Best of luck.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

PiccoloTrombonist1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:54 pm I was wondering what the best mouthpiece shape would be if i wanted a lot of resistance whenever i blew into my trombone? I commonly struggle with shoving my face into my trombone, and also got into 3d modeling, so i could make a mouthpiece of any shape essentially for free
If you want a lot of resistance, put a plug of wax or modeling clay in the small hole in the mouthpiece :tongue:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PiccoloTrombonist1

BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:26 pm
PiccoloTrombonist1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:54 pm I was wondering what the best mouthpiece shape would be if i wanted a lot of resistance whenever i blew into my trombone? I commonly struggle with shoving my face into my trombone, and also got into 3d modeling, so i could make a mouthpiece of any shape essentially for free
If you want a lot of resistance, put a plug of wax or modeling clay in the small hole in the mouthpiece :tongue:
thanks for the advice, but if the hole is blocked/partially blocked, then ill be out of tune, and the solution isnt as permanent. Ive been trying for months to fix it, but its not a mistake that you can actively realize lots of the time. I was more so looking for a mouthpiece shape that would give more resistance, ex rn i use a more cup shaped mouthpiece, and i and i have a conical mouthpiece printing rn
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

A good way to add resistance is not with a mouthpiece change, but by switching from slide to valve trombone.
Hmm, a piccolo valve trombone. I can't imagine...
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I’m thinking at this stage, you need to be taking lessons and practicing instead of messing around with weird equipment adjustments.

This is my opinion.
PiccoloTrombonist1

JeffBone44 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:25 pm I’m thinking at this stage, you need to be taking lessons and practicing instead of messing around with weird equipment adjustments.

This is my opinion.
Ive been practicing daily and taking weekly lessons (i dont have the option to take lessons more than once per week) for over 2 months now. However, this issue has still persisted, hence me asking questions about mouthpiece shape. Hypothetically, the more wind bouncing off the mouthpiece the more resistance, so i was wondering what this shape with moth resistance would be
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you are "shoving your face into" your trombone, that's really not an optimal way to be playing, and I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by adding more resistance to a mouthpiece. You are taking lessons, so have you discussed this with your teacher?

Also, I hate to say this, but there are no shortcuts. Some things take time.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

“Shoving my face into my trombone” does not sound like a helpful way to learn and improve. It does sound like a way to build bad habits, if not cause damage.

Building your own mouthpieces seems like a distraction. Right now, do you want to learn to play trombone, or do you want to pursue mouthpiece design and manufacture? At this stage in your development, designing and making trombone mouthpieces sounds fun, but doesn’t contribute to your understanding of how to play and how to become a musician.

If anything, at this stage in your development, adding resistance to a mouthpiece would contribute to your frustration.

You might want to read this thread: viewtopic.php?t=15542
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

What mouthpiece and horn do you play on now?
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

PiccoloTrombonist1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:23 pm
JeffBone44 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:25 pm I’m thinking at this stage, you need to be taking lessons and practicing instead of messing around with weird equipment adjustments.

This is my opinion.
Ive been practicing daily and taking weekly lessons (i dont have the option to take lessons more than once per week) for over 2 months now. However, this issue has still persisted, hence me asking questions about mouthpiece shape. Hypothetically, the more wind bouncing off the mouthpiece the more resistance, so i was wondering what this shape with moth resistance would be
Weekly lessons are definitely sufficient. However, if you are practicing daily, the wrong way, it will only make things worse by reinforcing bad habits. So you need to fix your mouthpiece pressure issues immediately with your teacher. Some mouthpiece pressure is beneficial, but you don’t want so much that it literally hurts to play and bruises your lips.

Return to “Mouthpieces”